Goalie Wilton is Dereham Town’s FA Cup replay hero at St Ives

Matt Henman was all smiles on Tuesday night as his Magpies progressed in the FA Cup. Picture: Matthe

Matt Henman was all smiles on Tuesday night as his Magpies progressed in the FA Cup. Picture: Matthew Usher - Credit: Matthew Usher

Dereham Town sealed their place in the next round of the FA Cup after beating St Ives on penalties after a thrilling replay at Westwood Road on Tuesday night.

Matt Henman's side got off to a dream start with Craig Bussens firing them ahead after three minutes before he doubled their lead in the 21st minute.

With 78 minutes on the clock, and Dereham looking comfortable, Will Fordham gave his side hope of a late comeback. Minutes later the Saints were reduced to 10 men as David Cobb was sent for an early bath. However, deep into injury time a Josh Hall strike forced extra-time.

Dereham went ahead again in extra-time but Luke Bailey's goal wasn't enough, with Karl Gibbs scoring and forcing a shoot-out.

The Magpies had keeper Andrew Wilton to thank after he saved two out of the Ives' three penalties as Aaron Kay, Toby Hilliard and Frazer Blake-Tracy converted to send the Magpies through.

The two sides had to go again in Cambridgeshire after drawing 2-2 at Aldiss Park on Saturday.

Ben Seymour-Shove opened the scoring. Dereham won a free-kick in the 24th minute that led to a corner with defender Matt Howard unlucky to see his 12-yard drive headed off the line by Stead. However, the Magpies did not have to wait too long before they found the equaliser with Sam Borrer surging forward from the centre circle and feeding Ryan Hawkins on his left who progressed before sliding the ball into the net.

Most Read

Dereham then nearly netted again when defender Michael Somerfield headed over from close range following a well worked corner. In the 68th minute good play by Will Muzvimbiri set up Seymour-Shove who drilled home his second goal of the game to restore Ives' lead in the 67th minute.

Boss Henman immediately introduced Hilliard and Scott Roberts and both had an immediate effect. Hilliard nearly equalised before Roberts did from the penalty spot in the 72nd minute.

Muzvimbiri was penalised for the push and was shown a red card for dissent. But the hosts couldn't make their man advantage count in the closing stages forcing the teams to meet again to decide who progressed to visit St Neots Town in the first qualifying round as well as pocketing the £1,925 prize money that was on offer.

Henman's charges are back in action on Saturday when they host Burnham Ramblers in Ryman Division One North. On Tuesday they welcome former Thurlow Nunn League rivals Brightlingsea Regent in their latest home fixture at Step Four of the semi-professional pyramid.

Dereham's reserves beat their second-string counterparts Leiston 1-0 in the Thurlow Nunn First Division at the weekend. They visit Debenham LC at the weekend.