Golfer loses count of aces
Some golfers never have a hole-in-one. Some have one and remember every moment of it…Others have so many they can't keep count of them! Take Dereham Golf Club secretary Dudley Mayers.
Some golfers never have a hole-in-one. Some have one and remember every moment of it…Others have so many they can't keep count of them!
Take Dereham Golf Club secretary Dudley Mayers. He's a prolific scorer of holes-in-one but his latest feat has left him puzzling.
Club legend has it that this was Dudley's 15th ace. But he's a stickler for detail and he simply can't remember all of them - so he's settling for a round dozen…or thereabouts.
His first was in 1968 at RAF Changi in Singapore. His second was at Swaffham where he was briefly a member before moving to Dereham.
The rest have all been scored on his home course, a nine-hole layout which boasts four par threes on a full 18-hole circuit.
Dudley has aced each of them twice - and some more than that.
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 5 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 6 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 7 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 8 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 9 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 10 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
'It's over so many years that I can't remember all the details and I don't have records of them all,' he said.
'But the last one was quite memorable. I'd just got a new eight-iron and I decided to try it for the first time on the 12th. The ball went straight in the hole!' The hole measures 141 yards.
He added: 'Some of them have been very good shots, some of them have been pure luck.'
Dudley, who is 75, plays off 12 handicap.