Help cheer Dereham Cricket Club to a Norfolk Alliance promotion party
- Credit: Tim Ferley
Dereham are just one win away from promotion to the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division after a three-wicket victory over fellow challengers Acle.
A disciplined an economical bowling display saw Dereham restrict the hosts to 176-8 from their 50 overs. Captain Duncan Hewitt (4-47) was the pick of the bowlers, with all contributing to an excellent effort in the field.
Despite losing Ryan Fitt and Neil Irons in successive deliveries, Hewitt and David Lake (65) set up the chase with a superb third-wicket stand of 114. The dismissal of Lake however, sparked a collapse as Dereham slumped from 148-2 to 172-7. It was left to Hewitt to produce a captain's innings, finishing 69 not out, to steer his side to a crucial win.
The result leaves Dereham 10 points clear of third-placed Acle – who visit Lowestoft Town – ahead of their final game of the season at home to Horsford A, and victory on Saturday would secure their place in the county's top division.
The club are urging the town to turn up at their Norwich Road ground this weekend to cheer the lads to a promotion party.
You may also want to watch:
The game starts at 12.30pm.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 9 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end