High five for Will's golden weekend
Viv ThomasWheelchair racer Will Smith won five gold medals at the Eastern Region Junior Championships for disabled athletes at the weekend.The 13-year-old from Westfield, near Dereham, sped to victory in the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m in very difficult, windy conditions.Viv Thomas
Wheelchair racer Will Smith won five gold medals at the Eastern Region Junior Championships for disabled athletes at the weekend.
The 13-year-old from Westfield, near Dereham, sped to victory in the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m in very difficult, windy conditions.
He will now go on to represent the region at the National Junior Championships, being held in Blackpool at the beginning of July.
It was the first time the Northgate High School pupil had competed in his new racing wheelchair, provided by the charity Get Kids Going. Will's dad, Mark, said: 'He was pleased. He has got a new chair and it was the first time he had properly used it.
You may also want to watch:
'It was nice to get moving in that and get some experience.
'You can only do three distances in the nationals so he will probably pick the 400m, 800m and 1500m - they are his favourite events in terms of distance.'
- 1 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 6 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 7 Family's anger after woman, 82, faced being 'marooned' by floodwater
- 8 Former Hollywood Cinema boss becomes award-winning carer
- 9 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
'He will warm up for the nationals with an international competition at Stoke Mandeville on the 14th of June.
'It's the first time he has faced [mainland] European competition, which should be quite fun,' he added.