Hockey Colts bounce back
Yarmouth II 1, Dereham Colts 4After a disappointing first defeat of the season, the Colts bounced back playing a great style of hockey.After an understandably shaky first five minutes, Colts settled into their quick, passing game and never looked back.
Yarmouth II 1, Dereham Colts 4
After a disappointing first defeat of the season, the Colts bounced back playing a great style of hockey.
After an understandably shaky first five minutes, Colts settled into their quick, passing game and never looked back.
The front line of Ellie Boyce, Hannah Dewing and Charlotte Reeve made great runs off the ball, took on defenders at speed and looked for each other in attacking positions.
Dereham soon opened the scoring when quick thinking from centre-mid Rachel Lavers saw an early free hit played to Reeve, who was free on the left wing. Reeve cut in towards the baseline, drawing the Yarmouth defence and keeper out of position before crossingfor Dewing to tap in.
- 1 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 2 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 3 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 4 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 5 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 6 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 7 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
- 8 Prince's Trust on the hunt for recruits to join new Dereham team
- 9 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
- 10 Birthplace of Norfolk literary legend could soon host holiday lets
Dereham won numerous short corners which Helen Kiddle-Morris struck well. The second goal came from a variation on the short-corner routine where Kiddle-Morris directed the ball back to the injector, Reeve, who took a first-time sweep to find the back of the net.
The second half saw the Colts continue with the same game plan, and the third goal came from a variation of the same short-corner routine between Kiddle-Morris and Reeve.
The fourth goal came from more good work on the left by Alice Tarry in midfield and Ben Burgess player of the match Reeve on the wing. Their persistence and hard work saw the ball played across the crowded Yarmouth D to perfectly-positioned Lavers, who struck the ball sweetly through the keeper's legs.
Reeve returned to the style of play which made her one of the most successful Colts last season
Unfortunately for Dereham, they couldn't keep a clean sheet. A momentary lapse in concentration from the defence just minutes from the end saw two ex-Dereham players combine well together and get Yarmouth a consolation goal.
Squad: Ellie Boyce, Emily Crisp, Fran D'Sousa, Hannah Dewing, Helen Kiddle-Morris, Rachel Lavers, Heather Morgan (captain), Charlotte Reeve, Alice Tarry, Hannah Tarry, Zoe Taylor.