Hockey promotion for Dereham
Dereham Men 2, Ramgharia 1
HOCKEY: Dereham managed to secure promotion back to the East Men's League Premier A division at the first time of asking with a hard-fought victory at Greenfields on Saturday.
Dereham didn't start the game with their usual vigour, which played in to the opposition's hands, who were happy to sit back and try to hit Dereham on the counter-attack. Dereham made a couple of early chances, but the Ramgharia keeper was up to the task, and pulled off a number of crucial saves.
Dereham's own keeper Tom Vaughan was also in fine form, and was key in ensuring the scores were level for much of the first half. Ramgharia broke the deadlock towards the end of the first period through a short corner.
Dereham picked up the pace in the second half, and pressed the visitors' defence. They eventually got their reward when Andy Lawrence's well-hit short corner was deflected by one of the defenders.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham were soon in the lead when Michael Timm added to his season's tally, coolly picking up a rebound and placing a strike past the keeper.
Dereham continued to create a number of chances with Ed Turner proving too hot to handle along the right, but they were unable to add to their total.
- 1 Covid responsible for half of all deaths in worst hit areas of Norfolk
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 4 Dazzling display raises hundreds for hospital charity
- 5 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 6 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 7 Warning of delays ahead of abnormal load escort
- 8 Children's home plans includes emergency housing in converted barn
- 9 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
The visitors fought hard to draw level, but there was no way past Vaughan, who shared the man-of-the-match award with Turner.