Hockey promotion for Dereham
Dereham Men 2, Ramgharia 1
HOCKEY: Dereham managed to secure promotion back to the East Men's League Premier A division at the first time of asking with a hard-fought victory at Greenfields on Saturday.
Dereham didn't start the game with their usual vigour, which played in to the opposition's hands, who were happy to sit back and try to hit Dereham on the counter-attack. Dereham made a couple of early chances, but the Ramgharia keeper was up to the task, and pulled off a number of crucial saves.
Dereham's own keeper Tom Vaughan was also in fine form, and was key in ensuring the scores were level for much of the first half. Ramgharia broke the deadlock towards the end of the first period through a short corner.
Dereham picked up the pace in the second half, and pressed the visitors' defence. They eventually got their reward when Andy Lawrence's well-hit short corner was deflected by one of the defenders.
Dereham were soon in the lead when Michael Timm added to his season's tally, coolly picking up a rebound and placing a strike past the keeper.
Dereham continued to create a number of chances with Ed Turner proving too hot to handle along the right, but they were unable to add to their total.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 3 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 4 Road closures to be put in place for Queen's Dragoon Guards parade
- 5 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 7 Commonwealth record holder puts medal haul on display
- 8 Superb ton from Brendan Scott seals back-to-back wins for Bradenham
- 9 Travelling to the Royal Norfolk Show? Here’s everything you need to know
- 10 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
The visitors fought hard to draw level, but there was no way past Vaughan, who shared the man-of-the-match award with Turner.