Hockey promotion for Dereham
Dereham Men 2, Ramgharia 1
HOCKEY: Dereham managed to secure promotion back to the East Men's League Premier A division at the first time of asking with a hard-fought victory at Greenfields on Saturday.
Dereham didn't start the game with their usual vigour, which played in to the opposition's hands, who were happy to sit back and try to hit Dereham on the counter-attack. Dereham made a couple of early chances, but the Ramgharia keeper was up to the task, and pulled off a number of crucial saves.
Dereham's own keeper Tom Vaughan was also in fine form, and was key in ensuring the scores were level for much of the first half. Ramgharia broke the deadlock towards the end of the first period through a short corner.
Dereham picked up the pace in the second half, and pressed the visitors' defence. They eventually got their reward when Andy Lawrence's well-hit short corner was deflected by one of the defenders.
Dereham were soon in the lead when Michael Timm added to his season's tally, coolly picking up a rebound and placing a strike past the keeper.
Dereham continued to create a number of chances with Ed Turner proving too hot to handle along the right, but they were unable to add to their total.
- 1 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Somebody has to foot the bill' - Inflation forces greengrocer to up prices
- 4 Prince's Trust on the hunt for recruits to join new Dereham team
- 5 Revamp of beloved garden planned as part of Queen's Jubilee celebrations
- 6 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 7 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 8 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 9 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
The visitors fought hard to draw level, but there was no way past Vaughan, who shared the man-of-the-match award with Turner.