Home record goes at last
Dereham 3, Letchworth 5
HOCKEY: Having won their league last week, Dereham were unable to maintain their unbeaten home record when Letchworth visited Greenfields on Saturday.
Letchworth seemed more motivated and took an early lead through a penalty flick after Tom Vaughan had tripped a Letchworth forward.
This spurred Dereham on, and Will Edwards broke from the left to beat two defenders before laying the ball off perfectly for Richard Stainthorpe to finish past the out-coming keeper.
Dereham took the lead shortly afterwards when Sam Plater followed up his own short corner with a crisp, low strike.
Letchworth equalised when Dereham were unable to clear their lines, and the ball broke to the forward who smashed home a shot.
It was 3-2 just before half-time when a long ball was deflected into the bottom corner.
- 1 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 2 Lots of smiles and festive cheer seen at town's Christmas light switch on
- 3 Cast your votes in the Times Awards 2021
- 4 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 5 Delays after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 Village pub could reopen as soon as the spring
- 7 'An incredible shock': Norfolk pub named best in Britain
- 8 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 9 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 10 Christmas in full swing as Polar Express delights thousands in sell-out run
Dereham started the second half strongly, but were unable to capitalise on their opportunities.
Eventually Mike Timm popped up to deflect a short corner past the keeper to draw the teams level.
Letchworth scored a fourth from a short corner, and as Dereham searched for another equaliser, Letchworth added to their tally.