Huckle’s double has Mattishall smiling again
- Credit: Archant
Mattishall entertained Reepham in their second meeting in the league this season and completed a double with a good victory.
The match kicked off with the hosts hoping to play a lot better than the previous week at St Andrews.
A good crowd watched an end-to-end match which saw Mattishall go ahead on the half hour.
After a good run from Benny Macann, a cross found George Gagen whose first time shot went in off the keeper as he tried to parry the ball out to safety,
Five minutes later with Mattishall doubled their lead as Xavier Huckle shot wide of the keeper to make it two to the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
Six minutes later, on a rare visit into the Mattishall box, Reepham had several attempts at goal with the last of many going in from a deflection.
This gave the visitors a boost as they then tried to get their equaliser prior to the break. However, on a break, the hosts got into the penalty area with Macann being brought down by a defender and the referee having no hesitation in awarding the penalty.
- 1 '1,500 calls in a weekend' - Taxi firms' struggles with driver shortages
- 2 'A fabulous asset' - town centre pocket park finally opens
- 3 Met Office issues weather warning for heavy rain in Norfolk
- 4 Enhanced play area unveiled following £23,000 revamp
- 5 Family tribute to 'much loved' Norfolk woman killed in A47 crash
- 6 Man who was late to take son to school event jailed for fatal A47 crash
- 7 More than 450 homes hit by power cut in mid Norfolk
- 8 Three marathons in three weekends - Dereham runner's amazing charity effort
- 9 Tickets selling fast as Polar Express returns to Norfolk
- 10 Bid for 31 homes in village is approved
Macann brushed himself down to take the spot-kick himself but it was well saved by the visiting keeper which proved to be the last action of the half.
The second half got under way with both teams content to play the match in the middle of the park. There were a couple of good right wing runs from Pascal which came to nothing but he did finally start to put the ball in the mix in front of goal.
Halfway into the second half another penalty was awarded to the home side as a lunging tackle was penalised as the hosts surged forward. Huckle this time had control of the ball and coolly slotted home the resultant spot-kick to restore Mattishall's two goal advantage.
This deflated the visitors slightly as it was now an uphill struggle for them to get back on terms in the match.
Mattishall saw the rest of the match out and collected a much-needed three points after a much improved performance.
Mattishall Reserves' scheduled match was postponed at East Harling due to illness in the ranks.
On Saturday Mattishall are away to Blofield United (kick-off 2pm) in their latest Anglian Combination top flight match while the Reserves are away at Poringland Wanderers in the Norfolk Junior Cup (1.30pm).