Late misery for Ryman League North Dereham Town
Dereham Town suffered a double dose of injury-time pain to drop vital Ryman League North points, writes Gavin Caney.
While the Magpies did outstandingly to draw 2-2 at home with league leaders Cray Wanderers on Saturday – having played with 10 men for 30 minutes – they were only minutes away from pulling off a famous victory.
Dan Morphew's equaliser and Luke Tuttle's penalty, in time added on, had put Matt Henman's men in control.Yet there was still time for Cray to equalise during a game that saw Aaron Kay dismissed for two yellow cards.
It got more frustrating on Tuesday night as Dereham let another lead slip to endure more late misery. Tuttle had put them in front at AFC Sudbury and even though Luke Callander levelled matters before the break Town looked like bringing something back to Norfolk. It wasn't to be though as Craig Parker's strike snatched a home win to ensure the Magpies' inconsistent form continued.
Henman, whose men are without a game until Saturday November 7, said: 'We had a group last year that we realistically thought had a chance of getting into the play-offs.
You may also want to watch:
'We're now in a stage of development where players are getting used to the level and while they're doing really well sometimes, we may have to take two steps forward and then one backwards as they get experience and learn how to manage games at this level.'
Fakenham Town won 4-3 at Newmarket Town on Saturday before slipping to a 1-0 defeat at Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division leaders, and champions, Norwich United on Tuesday. Fakenham are back in action at Long Melford on Saturday.
- 1 Covid responsible for half of all deaths in worst hit areas of Norfolk
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 4 Dazzling display raises hundreds for hospital charity
- 5 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 6 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 7 Warning of delays ahead of abnormal load escort
- 8 Children's home plans includes emergency housing in converted barn
- 9 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today