Linnets next for Magpies

DEREHAM Town go into their last match of the year, at home to King's Lynn Reserves on Saturday (ko 3pm), in second place in the Ridgeons Premier and knowing they have a long trip to Bath in the last 32 of the FA Vase.

DEREHAM Town go into their last match of the year, at home to King's Lynn Reserves on Saturday (ko 3pm), in second place in the Ridgeons Premier and knowing they have a long trip to Bath in the last 32 of the FA Vase.

The Magpies will play Larkhall Athletic on January 17 after the Somerset side booked their place following an epic marathon with Wimbourne Town.

The two sides had drawn the initial match and then replays had to be

re-arranged twice due to frozen and waterlogged pitches.

When they finally played, Larkhall won 3-1 after extra time. Larkhall are flying high in the Western League Division One and a sizeable contingent of Dereham fans are expected to make the long trip.

The winning club in the last 32 pockets £1,500 in prize money.

Most Read

Walsham-le-Willows 2, Dereham Town 3

AFTER leading 3-1 at half-time, the Magpies had a disappointing second period.

Manager Matty Henman started with the same side that beat Stanway the previous week, writes Rene Kendal.

In the fourth minute Atkins won a corner on the right after Smith had spread play wide, but Terrington's centre failed to trouble the defence. Walsham then won a flag-kick but Cusack drove the ball straight into the side netting.

Space was restricted on the narrow pitch but Dereham came close in the 14th minute with Terrington's powerful 30-yard drive whistling inches past Bugg's post.

The Magpies won another corner following a well-worked move down the right but again Walsham cleared their lines. Dereham maintained their pressure which led them to taking the lead in the 17th minute.

After Howell was brought down outside the box on the right, Adam Smith rose well to firmly head home Terrington's well-directed cross.

Buhlemann moved swiftly to intercept the ball from Tatnam following Curtis' long ball from the back. The home full-back then had a 25-yard drive deflected for a corner. Attwood's deep flag-kick was claimed at the far post by Higgs.

In the 32nd minute solid defensive work by Eastoe Smith kept Tatnam away from Higgs' goal.

In the next attack Dereham increased their advantage. Smith rattled Buggs' right-hand post from 18 yards with a blistering shot and the alert midfielder picked up the rebound before unselfishly setting up Nicky Howell, who tapped home from close range.

Walsham were finding little joy against the well-organised visitors but they pulled a goal back in the 42nd minute from the spot. Foster was adjudged to have been brought down by keeper Higgs, and from the penalty Andrew Cusack comfortably slotted home.

As half-time approached, Dereham regained their two-goal advantage when defender Daniel Buhlemann powerfully headed home Terrington's deep free-kick.

Soon after the restart Bacon replaced Beaumont, who had sustained a hamstring injury in the Dereham front line.

Neither keeper was tested in the opening 10 minutes which was rather scrappy.

Walsham introduced striker Ross as they quickly needed to reduce the deficit.

Keeper Bugg did well to grasp Atkins' low cross from the right as Bacon looked to pounce. Sim was booked for an over-zealous tackle on Dereham skipper Barrett.

Higgs raced from his line to clear from Ross following a long ball over the top.

In the 71st minute Olly Willis made a fine headed clearance from Attwood's superb centre from the right.

Atkins came within inches of making the game safe for the Magpies when his 14-yard shot flew wide after Terrington's free-kick had fallen at his feet.

Dereham were finding it hard to keep possession and Walsham set up an interesting finish when they netted in the 75th minute.

Higgs was unable to hold Tatnam's 20-yard free kick, with Ryan Foster tapping the loose ball in from two yards.

Walsham won a free-kick inside the Dereham box for dangerous play. Cusack's shot was charged down for a corner.

From the flag-kick Higgs made a fine save when he tipped Foster's header over the bar following Attwood's centre in the 88th minute.

Walsham pressed for the equaliser but Dereham held firm to take the points following a disappointing second-half performance.

Dereham: J Higgs, O Willis, B Furlong, D Buhlemann, J Eastoe-Smith, D Beaumont, N Howell, A Smith, P Atkins, G Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: S Garner, C Bacon, S Willis, N Simmons.