Magpies fired up for FA Cup tie

PUBLISHED: 09:38 28 August 2008 | UPDATED: 14:41 07 July 2010

DEREHAM Town warmed up for Saturday's home FA Cup preliminary round tie with Stamford AFC (3pm ko) with a nap hand of goals in the league on Tuesday night.

DEREHAM Town warmed up for Saturday's home FA Cup preliminary round tie with Stamford AFC (3pm ko) with a nap hand of goals in the league on Tuesday night.

With the big win over Ely City in the Ridgeons Premier, the Magpies sent out a warning to their Northern Premier League South visitors. It followed the weekend's 4-0 win at Whitton (report on page 47).

Dereham Town 5, Ely City 2

TUESDAY'S game started with Ely striker Westcott getting a yellow card for a two-footed tackle on Ollie Willis. The Magpies showed their attacking intent gaining three corners in the opening 10 minutes, writes Rene Kendal.

They continued to press with Simon Mowbray striking a powerful drive then hitting a shot on the turn into Pacey's arms following a promising four-man move. The Ely keeper then had to turn Beaumont's volley around a post at full stretch.

Dereham were rewarded for their enterprise in the 28th minute when Danny Beaumont lifted the ball over Pacey and into the net from 10 yards following Howell's low cross from the right after Ollie Willis had initiated the move.

The Magpies soon increased their lead when Mowbray charged down the keeper's poor clearance and moved forward before confidently firing home his fourth goal of the season in the 34th minute.

Dereham went close twice in the opening minutes of the second half. A goal-line clearance denied Howell before keeper Pacey made a great save from Miller's close range effort.

Ely suddenly pulled a goal back in the 60th minute with full back Lee Dixon heading home Smith's centre. Dereham immediately restored their two-goal cushion with Beaumont holding off his man near the left by-line and finding scorer Craig Terrington with a measured pass.

From a 65th minute Terrington flag kick Beaumont nearly broke the net with a blistering 20-yard drive. Minutes later Adam Smith scored Dereham's fifth. Howell picked up a clearance from a corner and found Beaumont on the right whose cross reached the midfielder who netted from just inside the box.

Ely reduced the deficit in the 76th minute with Simon Warren heading home Lawrence's long throw from the right.

The visitors then enjoyed their first spell of pressure but Dereham had a strong penalty appeal turned down.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dereham Times