Magpies off song

PUBLISHED: 11:16 25 February 2009 | UPDATED: 15:03 07 July 2010

Dereham Town's post-FA Vase and Norfolk Senior Cup hangover continued on Tuesday night when they lost their top-five Ridgeons Premier clash at Wroxham.

Dereham Town's post-FA Vase and Norfolk Senior Cup hangover continued on Tuesday night when they lost their top-five Ridgeons Premier clash at Wroxham.

They will look for a revival of their league fortunes on Saturday, away to bottom team Haverhill Rovers, and at home on Tuesday night to fourth-bottom Norwich United.

Wroxham 4, Dereham Town 0

THE Magpies were looking to avenge last week's Senior Cup semi-final defeat but they found themselves two goals down at the break following a poor first-half performance, writes Rene Kendal.

After an awful opening 10 minutes in which neither team could pass to each other, Wroxham won a free-kick just outside the box, but Key shot straight into the Dereham wall.

Self delivered a curling cross towards the penalty spot that hit striker Paul Cook on the shin before leaping up into the net to put the Yachtsmen in front. Cook went on to complete his hat-trick.

Play remained rather flat until Key blasted a cross-shot wide of Thaxton's goal in the 25th minute.

Dereham had their first chance when Terrington combined well with Atkins to fire off target from 25 yards.

Wroxham won a corner in the 30th minute from which defender Carus guided the ball over the bar from Challen's knock-down. The Yachtsmen had another chance when Gilmore picked up Furlong's poor pass and hit a dipping 30-yarder over the top.

Cook then hit another 30-yarder over the bar before Wroxham's second goal in the 41st minute. After gaining a free-kick on the left, Self delivered the ball to the far post where Carus headed home.

In the 50th minute a dangerous Furlong cross forced Howes to concede a corner at the far post. Home keeper McAnally did well to claim Terrington's in-swinger on his goal line. Furlong was injured in a tackle, Beaumont having to replace the full back.

The Dereham substitute immediately struck a 30-yarder just wide. From a Magpies' free-kick from distance, Terrington's effort rounded the wall and received a slight deflection before McAnally palmed the ball behind for a fruitless corner.

Wroxham launched three quick breaks and Dereham had what looked to be a good penalty shout for handball waved aside before Beaumont curled a free-kick into McAnally's arms in the 70th minute.

From a Wroxham free-kick Cook glanced home from White's curling centre off the underside of the bar in the 75th minute.

On time Cook headed home White's corner from the left to complete his hat-trick.

Wroxham eased to a comfortable victory and condemned the Magpies to their fourth successive defeat.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Dereham Times