Magpies old boys suffer a sad return

Dereham Town 2, Diss Town 0

IT was a miserable return to Aldiss Park for Diss' Dereham Town old boys as the Magpies halted their recent slump in form.

Dereham had lost their previous three league matches to slip out of the title reckoning and were in desperate need of victory to boost their flagging morale on Saturday.

And they were given a helping hand when former Magpie Stuart Garner was sent off for a second yellow card on 55 minutes. The home side went on to score two late goals to ensure Tangerines boss, former Dereham manager Robert Taylor, did not heap on the misery for his old club.

Dereham boss Matty Henman was boosted by the return of Adam Smith and Gary Starling from injury.

The Magpies had a chance in the opening minutes with Nicky Howell having little time to react to head Starling's powerful cross home.

Diss keeper Matthew Webster was then forced to save from Sam Borrer following a corner on the right.

Most Read

The visitors won and wasted two free-kicks in good positions.

Garner received his first yellow card for a foul in the 16th minute, with Dereham's Scott Roberts following him into the book.

In the 27th minute Jason Cole broke with speed for Diss but he slightly over hit his pass to Pipe and the chance went begging following fine defensive play from Taylor Hastings.

The Magpies came within inches of opening the scoring in the 32nd minute when Howell fed Billy Smith but his shot hit the post. Just a minute later, the same unlucky Dereham player hit the bar after Webster had made a fine diving save low to his right to push away a shot from Aaron Burt.

Jamie Spencer nearly caught out Marshall with a well struck 30 yarder but the Dereham keeper reacted quickly to save.

After the goalless first half, Stefan Gilding made a fine goal line clearance for Diss to keep a shot from Billy Smith out just 20 seconds into the second period.

Dereham continued to press and Garner was shown a second yellow card for a foul and sent off in the 55th minute. From this point on Dereham were in control with Diss hanging on for long periods of the game.

Tangerines keeper Webster made a brilliant save to turn Sam Borrer's powerful 30 yarder over the bar. The same player again nearly broke the deadlock in the 75th minute when Stefan Gilding cleared his low drive off the line.

Diss created a half chance to take the lead when King played the ball into the penalty area. Michael Steward and Brien both had space to shoot but were closed down.

Dereham eventually opened the scoring in the 80th minute. Ollie Willis got round the back of the Diss defence and delivered an inviting cross that brother Sam headed home.

Billy Smith soon increased the Magpies' lead when he curled the ball home from the left hand side of the area.