Magpies on Carrow Road trail

Dereham Town 4, Diss Town 2Ex-Dereham manager Robert Taylor, who guided the Magpies to a double Norfolk Senior Cup success, was hoping that his Diss side could cause an upset on Saturday at Aldiss Park.

Dereham Town 4, Diss Town 2

Ex-Dereham manager Robert Taylor, who guided the Magpies to a double Norfolk Senior Cup success, was hoping that his Diss side could cause an upset on Saturday at Aldiss Park in the fourth round.

Cussons and Lawrence combined to win Diss a corner in the fourth minute with keeper Higgs punching the flag-kick to safety, writes Rene Kendal.

George Wilson then broke from the centre of the park before firing over the top as the Ridgeons Division One side made a good start against their high-flying Premier Division hosts.

Beaumont was put clean through for the Magpies but keeper Smith made a point-blank save. From the resultant corner Beaumont volleyed inches over the top.

As heavy snow started to fall Dereham took the lead in the 13th minute.

Most Read

Garner lifted the ball across the Diss box to Barrett who placed the ball past keeper Smith with Paul Atkins sliding the ball home.

Visiting skipper Best was booked for a late challenge on Beaumont. Play remained open until the Magpies increased their lead in the 25th minute.

Diss striker Soames picked the ball up on the halfway line and attempted a risky back pass to keeper Smith, which held up on the sodden surface, enabling Danny Beaumont to pounce and plant the ball home via the keeper's shoulder.

Best came to the visitors' rescue with a great interception to stop Howell's pass from reaching Atkins following Terrington's ball from the flank.

Dereham were forced to make a change with Sam Willis replacing Eastoe-Smith in the 34th minute.

Dereham were now on top and Howell found Atkins with a superb direct ball that allowed him to round Smith and roll the ball home for his second and Dereham's third in the 37th minute.

Diss replied when ex-Dereham defender James Wilson fired home following Cussons' corner on the left.

And then it was 3-2 minutes later. Diss netted their second when Partridge's cross fell to Cussons whose close range shot was blocked but Danny McKail was on hand to net and bring Diss back into the game.

After an even start to the second half, Lawrence was cautioned for a trip on Ollie Willis. The Tangerines won a corner on the right with Cussons' flag-kick reaching Hayes, who tried a deft back-heel that keeper Higgs claimed.

In the 55th minute, Dereham won a free-kick on the right. Terrington's in-swinging curler was headed goalward by Sam Willis but his effort was cleared off the line.

Minutes later, Smith missed a good opening when he ballooned the ball over the top from close range after receiving Beaumont's pass.

Partridge won a flag-kick for Diss, Cussons's centre being cleared for another corner. From Lawrence's cross, Best headed onto Higgs's crossbar.

With the game still open, Ollie Willis broke down the right before delivering a low cross that Howell left for Atkins, who was unable to connect.

In the 68th minute, Sam Willis worked an opening on the edge of the Diss box before firing wide.

Joel Brien replaced Atkins for Dereham and Steve Wright replaced Soanes in the Diss front line.

Wright immediately had the ball in the net, but the linesman had already raised his flag.

McKail then missed a sitter for Diss when he shot wide with only Higgs to beat.

The Tangerines were then made to pay when Joel Brien smashed home Dereham's fourth from close range in the 83rd minute, following good play by Ollie Willis on the right.

The visitors were not finished yet and Partridge had a chance to reduce the deficit but was denied by a fine save by Higgs.

As play switched ends, visiting keeper Smith made an equally good save to deny Furlong. Diss won a free kick deep in the home box but Partridge's low drive was blocked by the Dereham wall as the game finished in blizzard conditions

Dereham Town: J Higgs, O Willis, S Garner, D Buhlemann, J Eastoe-Smith, D Beaumont, N Howell, A Smith, P Atkins, G Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: S Willis, G Watts, J Brien, B Furlong, S Thaxton.

Ref: Mr S Meale Norwich.