Magpies ready to welcome Canaries for pre-season match
- Credit: IAN BURT
Dereham Town will host Norwich City as part of the Canaries' pre-season preparations, which also includes clashes against top-flight sides from Italy, France and Spain.
The Championship side, open their pre-season fixtures with a trip to Aldiss Park on Saturday, July 12, (kick-off 3pm) and the announcement was music to the ears of Dereham chairman Simon Barnes.
He said: 'Personally, and on behalf of everyone connected with Dereham Town Football Club, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the directors of Norwich City Football Club and especially a big thank you to Neil Adams for making this possible.
'It is always a special occasion for a club of our size to welcome our illustrious neighbours, and we are all delighted that the fixture has been announced, it is going to be a day to remember for everyone involved with the club.
'We have had a great relationships with the Canaries over the years and while they have been to Aldiss Park several times before, it will be an excellent feeling to be welcoming them to a Ryman League club.
'It is a great opportunity for the supporters of both clubs to get a glimpse of their sides before the start of the new season and I am sure there will be a few players making their débuts in the fixture.
'I am confident that we will attract a tremendous crowd for the match, and that we will have a electrifying atmosphere inside the ground, which I am sure will make it a memorable afternoon for everyone who attends, on what will be a very special day for the club.'
- 1 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 4 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 5 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 6 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 7 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
Ticket prices for the match at Aldiss Park, as well as information on how to book, will be available on the club's official website (www.derehamtownfc.co.uk) from this morning.
For City, as well as a trip to Dereham, their pre-season line-up includes matches against Serie A outfit Sampdoria and Serie B side Novara during a nine-day training camp in Italy from July 18 to July 26. Following a trip to Skrill Conference Premier side Braintree Town on Tuesday July 15.
Norwich then return home for their final two warm-up matches, when Carrow Road will play host to French outfit OGC Nice on Monday July 28 and La Liga team Celta Vigo on Friday August 1, with the Sky Bet Championship season set to begin on Saturday August 9.