Magpies reclaim second place
DEREHAM Town leapfrogged Wroxham into second place in the Ridgeons Premier on Tuesday night with a 3-0 home win over Felixstowe.
Seamus Kellcher and Jay Eastoe-Smith netted before half-time, Adam Smith adding a brilliant third.
Dereham Town 1, Leiston 0
The Ridgeons League's new champions met their match at Aldiss Park on Saturday, the Magpies' disciplined performance denying them a record run of unbeaten games. Leiston lost 3-0 at home to CRC on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Town manager Matt Henman was delighted at a performance he described as 'very good'.
He said: 'It was an excellent performance against some pretty aggressive, intimidatory play. We were very disciplined, defended when we had to, and I think we looked the more dangerous side going forward.'
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Two new dates announced after Flying Scotsman's Norfolk visit sells out
- 10 Care home reaches final of disability and autism awards
The only goal of the match came midway through the second half, a fine effort from Adam Gusterson.
The Magpies had one or two more chances and what Henman described as 'a stone-wall penalty appeal' turned down.
He said his whole team worked their socks off and deserved the win. 'We are determined to get second place, then look at one or two things ahead of the Norfolk Senior Cup final. That date with King's Lynn Town at Carrow Road has yet to be announced.
Saturday sees Dereham at home to FC Clacton, followed on Monday by a trip to Trafford Park to play Wroxham.