Magpies set up FA Cup tie with Wroxham
FA Cup Extra Preliminary RoundDereham Town 3, Leiston 1Without injured skipper Graham Barrett and Nicky Howell gained a fine victory against their Ridgeons League rivals.
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Dereham Town 3, Leiston 1
Without injured skipper Graham Barrett and Nicky Howell, Town gained a fine victory against their Ridgeons League rivals to set up a home tie with Wroxham in the next round, writes Ren� Kendal.
In the fifth minute visiting keeper Jamie Stannard made a great low save to keep out Stuart Williams' downward header from a Craig Terrington free kick. Adam Smith then missed a glorious chance in the 10th minute when he failed to hit the target from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat.
Allician Blake looked to have been fouled by Williams in the box before the Magpies took the lead in the 14th minute. From a Terrington flag kick from the right Stannard parried Williams' header to Adam Gusterson who netted from close range.
- 1 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 4 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 5 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 6 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 7 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Bradenham still searching for win after Downham & Stow defeat
- 10 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
Leiston drew level in the 17th minute when Lee McGlone scored following a goalmouth scramble after Dereham missed chances to clear.
Play flowed from end to end before Dereham regained the lead in the 36th minute. Robbie Harris was fouled 25 yards out in a central position and Danny Beaumont curled home a superb free-kick.
The Magpies, with the wind in their faces second half, had more defending to do but should have increased their lead in the 65th minute when Ollie Willis and Harris set up Beaumont at the far post, but half-hit shot was saved. Minutes later he nearly made amends when his brilliantly executed 25-yard curler cannoned off the angle of Stannard's goal and back into play.
Dereham won a penalty in the 80th minute when Stannard upended Harris as he attempted to round him. Beaumont sent the keeper the wrong way to give the Magpies a two-goal cushion.
Leiston substitute Michael Brothers failed to hit the target from point-blank range.