Magpies seven points clear in title chase
DEREHAM Town moved seven points clear at the top of the Ridgeons Premier on Tuesday with a 3-1 derby win over Norwich United at Plantation Park.
Danny Beaumont (three minutes) and Kyle Downes (14) put the Magpies in front, Paul Atkins pegged one back but Gary Starling powered home a 34th-minute free-kick to make it 3-1.
Although Dereham's Oliver Thompson was dismissed just before the break for a second yellow card, the Magpies saw out the game with few alarms, their 12th win in 15 league fixtures. Wroxham beat Yarmouth 2-0 to go second.
On Saturday, Dereham entertain Walsham-le-Willows.
Debenham LC 0, Dereham Town 2
You may also want to watch:
Gary Starling returned to the Town line-up and soon curled a free-kick wide. However, in the 12th minute a cross from Starling was bundled forward by Kyle Downes with defender Ed Cussons poking the ball towards his own net, forcing keeper Ben Vincent to make a fine save. Scott Roberts netted from close range, writes Rene Kendal.
- 1 Developer says dozens show interest in new homes despite council concerns
- 2 50 home development approved despite flooding fears
- 3 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
- 4 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 5 Artist’s tribute to ‘courageous’ cancer charity founder
- 6 Norfolk’s weekly Covid care home deaths among worst in England
- 7 Dereham Blues Festival cancelled for second year running
- 8 Council agrees to fell "high risk tree" - despite protection order
- 9 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 10 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
Vincent was then called into action again to save from Danny Beaumont, and Adam Smith nearly unlocked the home defence.
On a bobbly surface, passing by both teams was often wayward with control proving difficult at times.
But Dereham increased their lead in the 36th minute when Roberts beat Vincent with a low, first-time effort from 10 yards following Ollie Willis' ball into the box.
After the break Scott Woodgate delivered a cross that just eluded Beaumont at the far post. Cussons cleared off the line to deny Beaumont.
At the opposite end Marshall was forced to save from Gedny after good work by Cannon. As the Magpies continued to press, Beaumont and Woodgate both had chances.
In the 60th minute Roberts came within inches of completing his hat-trick when his low drive struck the base of a post. Roberts set up Beaumont, who ballooned the ball over the top.