Magpies slump to heavy home defeat
Dereham 1, CRC 5
DEREHAM'S worrying league form continued with a third consecutive defeat in the Ridgeons League Premier Division on Saturday.
Jonny Fox was forced into a first team recall with first choice keeper Shaun Marshall injured and Chris Horton unavailable, writes Rene Kendal.
The blustery weather made playing conditions difficult and contributed to a scrappy opening. It was not until the 16th minute that Lewis Butcher had Dereham's first effort when his 30-yarder forced visiting keeper Truncha to hurry before seeing the ball narrowly miss the target.
The same player then saw another effort from a similar distance saved following Scott Roberts' superb pass.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies then had two chances in quick succession with Nathan Howard rounding Truncha but he was unable to pick out a team-mate from an acute angle. Minutes later Billy Smith had an opportunity to chip the keeper but his effort lacked enough pace and the keeper saved.
In the 36th minute Nicky Howell was fouled just outside the box with the culprit lucky to remain on the pitch. Roberts blazed the resultant free-kick over the crossbar.
- 1 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 2 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 Seven lockdown rules that could change
- 5 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 6 Council says it's in public interest to keep golf resort details secret
- 7 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Norfolk?
- 8 Tributes paid to retired long-term foster carer who 'loved to laugh'
- 9 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 10 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
CRC took the lead against the run of play in the 44th minute when a rebound fell at the feet of Owen Kabodi who fired into the net.
After the restart Fox saved well from Gnahore but was powerless to keep out Kabodi's deflected 20-yarder in the 51st minute.
Butcher dragged a shot narrowly wide as Dereham looked to reduce the deficit, but CRC added a third when Ryan Ingrey scored from inside the box following sloppy play by the home side in the 60th minute.
The visitors continued their dominance and netted a fourth in the 73rd minute when Ingrey outpaced Dereham down the left and unselfishly set up Yacine Gnahore for a close range tap-in.
Dereham got on the scoresheet in the 82nd minute when Andy Cusack scored from the spot after Ollie Willis was brought down in the box. On time Ingrey slammed home CRC's fifth to complete a miserable home defeat for the Magpies.