Magpies welcome back Simon Barnes
Dereham Town Football Club held their annual meeting at Aldiss Park when a familiar face returned to the committee, former chairman Simon Barnes coming back as vice-chairman.
The club welcomed Nigel Link as football secretary. He has a wealth of experience at a higher level of football and was very keen to join the Magpies.
The chairman, Mike Baldry, reported on a very successful season with the first team finishing in their highest ever position in the club's history and winning the Norfolk Senior Cup, beating Norwich City in the semi-finals and King's Lynn Town in the final.
The A Team reached two cup finals and lifted the Crown Fire Ben Smith Memorial Cup, beating Yaxham in the final.
The Under-18s lifted the Ridgeons League Youth Cup, beating Gorleston in the final.
The club are seeking a new main sponsor, as the current sponsorship contract has come to an end. The club thanked Tony Barker, from TBL/Barconn, for his much valued support over the last seven years.
Matt Henman announced that training will start on Tuesday, July 5, new players always welcome.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 7 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
It was also announced that the club will be holding a Football Extravaganza weekend taking place at Aldiss Park on Saturday and Sunday, July 16 and 17.
Ipswich Town Academy and Needham Market will be taking their place in a three-team tournament with the Magpies, starting at 1pm on Saturday, July 16. The following day, kicking off at 1pm, will be Dereham Town Veterans v Scarborough Seadogs. Any ex-Dereham Town players wishing to take part should contact Simon or Ginny on 01362 690460.
This match will be followed at 3pm by Dereham Town v Scarborough. Admission prices will be �2 per day, however those attending on the Saturday will be given free entry to Sunday's matches. Children under 16 free on both days, when accompanied by an adult.
Other pre-season matches arranged include Bury Town (h) Wednesday, July 27 and King's Lynn Town (a) on Friday, July 29.
The club has produced a sponsorship brochure for any interested parties looking to support their local club. Contact Ginny Barnes at the club on 01362 690460 and she will provide further details of sponsorship opportunities at Aldiss Park.