Maiden century celebrated
Dereham A climbed out of the relegation zone in West Norfolk League Division One after an empathic nine-wicket win at Fosters on Saturday. Fosters surprisingly elected to bat on a drying but very wet pitch.
Dereham A climbed out of the relegation zone in West Norfolk League Division One after an empathic nine-wicket win at Fosters on Saturday.
Fosters surprisingly elected to bat on a drying but very wet pitch. Nic Cains and Daniel Ponder got stuck into the Fosters line-up, claiming two wickets each. Jay Eastoe-Smith bowled superbly as Fosters tried in vain to up the score. Jamie Irons and his father, Neil, both struck late on, leaving Fosters on 163-8.
In reply, Dereham's openers, Eastoe-Smith and David Lake, started slowly, scoring only 15 from the first 10 overs. But they suddenly changed their approach and guided Dereham to victory with four overs to spare.
Eastoe-Smith (110) reached his maiden century, having fallen five runs short for the first team earlier in the season, while Lake contributed an excellent, patient 42
You may also want to watch:
Jubilant captain Neil Irons said: “This victory has given the team a massive lift after some disappointing displays - the average age of the team was only 17!”
An inexperienced Dereham B side fell to a heavy defeat at Hockwold in Division Four.
- 1 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 2 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 3 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 4 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 5 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 6 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 7 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
- 8 Your Say - What should replace Dereham's Prezzo?
- 9 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 10 'Exciting and adventurous' - How aboutDereham works for our community
Hockwold batted first and made 251-7, with Ryan Widdows taking 3-51.
In reply, skipper Sam Widdows (20) and R Maybe (27) battled valiantly and George Watts-Sturrock (34) hit four fours and two sixes, but Dereham were all out for 129 in the 29th over.
Dereham Jaguars defeated Old Buckenham Stags by three wickets in an exciting Junior Carter Cup clash on Sunday.
The Stags made 185-7 from their 36 overs, Stephen Burt top scoring with 62. Nic Cains bowled heroically in the gusty conditions for Dereham, claiming 5-25 from his six overs, while Jake Anema also picked up two wickets.
Dereham maintained a steady scoring rate throughout their innings and there were significant contributions all the way down the order. Jack West (28) top scored, before Anema (24no) led Dereham to victory with three balls to spare.