Mattishall back to bread and butter of league

PUBLISHED: 11:24 22 April 2010 | UPDATED: 15:52 07 July 2010

AFTER Tuesday night's 1-0 home defeat by Hempnall, Mattishall entertain bottom side Spixworth on Saturday (2pm ko). At 4pm, the sides' reserve teams meet.

AFTER Tuesday night's 1-0 home defeat by Hempnall, Mattishall entertain bottom side Spixworth on Saturday (2pm ko). At 4pm, the sides' reserve teams meet. On Tuesday, Mattishall visit Loddon

Dersingham Rovers 1, Mattishall 3

Following their epic Norfolk Senior Cup final win, Mattishall got back to the bread and butter of the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday.

On 10 minutes a Hill cross fell to Hewitt who just failed to hit the target. The dangerous Daniels was seeing plenty of the ball for Rovers and he threaded the ball through to Nichol, who was challenged by Fulcher in the area. The referee saw it as a foul and awarded Dersingham a penalty which was well converted by Daniels.

Mattishall responded and a fine through ball by Palmer saw Cole with a shooting, chance but he screwed his shot wide.

On 40 minutes a Catchpole spin and turn ended with his shot flying just over the bar.

But on 42 minutes the visitors drew level when a long-range effort by Hewitt took a wicked deflection off Berry, and despite Daniels' attempts to keep it, out the ball flew into the net.

Soon after a Lovell free-kick into the danger area saw Wooden get a flicked header that beat the keeper, who was off his line, and Mattishall went into the break with a lead they hardly deserved.

They started the second half taking the game to their hosts. A long diagonal pass found Cole in a good position and his shot was parried by keeper Daniels and the danger was cleared. Another excellent delivery saw Lewis fire over.

Another fine run by Cole took him get to the by-line and he pulled the ball back to Wooden who fired over when it looked easier to score.

However, minutes later the same combination ended with Wooden slamming the ball into the roof of the net at the second attempt to give the visitors a healthy 3-1 lead.

Rovers created some second-half chances but it was the visitors who were first to the ball.

However, a long ball by Daniels found Moreira, who went round Mattishall keeper Pledger but over-ran the ball and Hill cleared the danger.

Another deep cross was misjudged by Pledger and the ball came back off the bar and was hacked away, but generally Mattishall dictated play.

Late in the game Edwards, Stenner and Harbour replaced Hewitt, Cole and Catchpole. Harbour who had a chance to add to the score but the ball would not come down and English got back to clear the danger.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Dereham Times