Mattishall back to bread and butter of league
AFTER Tuesday night's 1-0 home defeat by Hempnall, Mattishall entertain bottom side Spixworth on Saturday (2pm ko). At 4pm, the sides' reserve teams meet.
AFTER Tuesday night's 1-0 home defeat by Hempnall, Mattishall entertain bottom side Spixworth on Saturday (2pm ko). At 4pm, the sides' reserve teams meet. On Tuesday, Mattishall visit Loddon
Dersingham Rovers 1, Mattishall 3
Following their epic Norfolk Senior Cup final win, Mattishall got back to the bread and butter of the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday.
On 10 minutes a Hill cross fell to Hewitt who just failed to hit the target. The dangerous Daniels was seeing plenty of the ball for Rovers and he threaded the ball through to Nichol, who was challenged by Fulcher in the area. The referee saw it as a foul and awarded Dersingham a penalty which was well converted by Daniels.
Mattishall responded and a fine through ball by Palmer saw Cole with a shooting, chance but he screwed his shot wide.
- 1 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 2 Care home linked with grandmother's death lifted from special measures
- 3 Food bank urges public to donate items to supermarket appeal
- 4 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 5 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 6 Revealed: The towns and villages where metal thieves have struck
- 7 'Being a mum is all she wants' - Fund launched for 26-year-old's IVF dream
- 8 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 9 Police ask public to check sheds in search for missing man
- 10 Man caught with cannabis after armed police called to Dereham park
On 40 minutes a Catchpole spin and turn ended with his shot flying just over the bar.
But on 42 minutes the visitors drew level when a long-range effort by Hewitt took a wicked deflection off Berry, and despite Daniels' attempts to keep it, out the ball flew into the net.
Soon after a Lovell free-kick into the danger area saw Wooden get a flicked header that beat the keeper, who was off his line, and Mattishall went into the break with a lead they hardly deserved.
They started the second half taking the game to their hosts. A long diagonal pass found Cole in a good position and his shot was parried by keeper Daniels and the danger was cleared. Another excellent delivery saw Lewis fire over.
Another fine run by Cole took him get to the by-line and he pulled the ball back to Wooden who fired over when it looked easier to score.
However, minutes later the same combination ended with Wooden slamming the ball into the roof of the net at the second attempt to give the visitors a healthy 3-1 lead.
Rovers created some second-half chances but it was the visitors who were first to the ball.
However, a long ball by Daniels found Moreira, who went round Mattishall keeper Pledger but over-ran the ball and Hill cleared the danger.
Another deep cross was misjudged by Pledger and the ball came back off the bar and was hacked away, but generally Mattishall dictated play.
Late in the game Edwards, Stenner and Harbour replaced Hewitt, Cole and Catchpole. Harbour who had a chance to add to the score but the ball would not come down and English got back to clear the danger.