Mattishall beat champions
Cromer Town 1, Mattishall 3
Mattishall visited new Anglian Combination champions Cromer on Tuesday night and underlined their claims for the runners-up spot.
Despite a late flourish from the home side, Mattishall inflicted on the Crabs their first league defeat since August 24, 2010. It was a hard-earned and deserved victory.
Cromer opened with a good combination involving Wenham and Bugdale which saw the latter drill the ball across the box. Gary Harbour then saw his long-range effort saved by the sprawling Bird.
Landamore volleyed over and then a dangerous cross by Bugdale forced Lewis to head clear under pressure from Wilton. At the other end a Sommerfield-McCann combination set up Gibbons, who just failed to connect.
As the game continued to go end to end, Mattishall took the lead when an excellent early ball from Stenner found Sommerfield, who drifted between the two centre backs and headed past the stranded keeper.
Mattishall continued to give as good as they got and a cross from McCann set up Applegate, who screwed his shot wide. Then Lewis intercepted a pass and drove forward before firing wide.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
At the other end a fine cross from Bugdale led to Wilton firing over the bar when well placed. Cromer continued to try to get behind the Mattishall defence with both Wilton and Bugdale staying wide. And when the former set up Terrington, he screwed his shot wide. Then a corner kick went dangerously across the face of the goal.
However, Mattishall increased their lead from an Applegate corner. The keeper failed to get a good punch on the ball and Lewis' effort on goal was turned into the net by Marczewski.
Mattishall continued to get in blocks and tackles as they worked tirelessly.
However, the one time that Wilton got the better of Lewis and got to the by-line, his driven cross was turned in by Terrington to reduce the arrears.
Cromer pressed for an equaliser and Pledger was forced into a fine save from a Bugdale free-kick from the edge of the box. From the rebound, Horton fired over the bar.
Mattishall then broke away and from a long clearance Sommerfield flicked the ball on to Applegate, who coolly found the back of the net, firing under the advancing keeper.
Sommerfield so nearly made it four when, after rounding the keeper, he saw his shot strike a post and roll across the goal line and out for a goal-kick.