Mattishall bounce back
On Saturday, Mattishall suffered a 3-0 home defeat by mid-table Beccles Town but on Tuesday night they went to Cromer Town, who are the new champions of the Anglian Combination, and won 3-1.
On Tuesday night, Mattishall visit Blofield, looking to complete the double over last season's Sterry Cup winners.
Mattishall 3, Blofield United 0
Mattishall entertained Blofield midweek and the same 11 where given the chance to repair the damage of Saturday's disappointing loss.
The opening period saw both sides with plenty of possession, but the final ball was lacking. A good early ball by Harbour set up Applegate who shot wide when well placed.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts forced a corner and Applegate's delivery saw Anema's header towards goal fall to McCann. His header was deflected just over the bar.
A little indecision in the home defence between Pledger and Marczewski saw the latter making a clearance as the visitors looked to break the deadlock.
- 1 Man in court charged with murder of his wife
- 2 Youths scale roof in Norfolk town centre
- 3 Your Say - The best places to eat and drink in Dereham
- 4 Restoration work begins on 500-year-old cottage
- 5 'She was so warm' - Daughter's tribute to town's oldest resident
- 6 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 7 Man appears in court over murder of woman, 37
- 8 Mum left overwhelmed as daughter's Disneyland dream becomes reality
- 9 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 10 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
Right on the stroke of half-time Skoyles twice went very close to giving Blofield an interval lead, but the half ended goalless.
The second half started with former Blues' player Brett firing past Pledger and also a post. And at the other end Harbour burst through and in a one-on-one but Woodcock in the visitors' goal made the save.
On 55 minutes McCann burst through and again Woodcock saved well. However, Mattishall pressure finally paid off when an excellent cross from Sommerfield led to Applegate heading into the back of the net after an excellent run left him in the clear.
Next it was the turn of Taunton to miss a chance as Woodcock became very busy. McCann then made an excellent run down the left and his fine delivery was turned into the net by Sommerfield on 65 minutes.
McCann virtually made the game safe for Mattishall when his excellent cross was turned into his own net by Cox for 3-0.
Another of McCann's mazy runs led to him being him fouled, but his spot-kick was easily saved by Woodcock.
Despite some late pressure from the visitors when they hit a post, Mattishall still looked dangerous breaking forward and could easily have doubled their score.