Mattishall complete double
Brandon Town 0, Mattishall 2
Mattishall completed their first Anglian Combination Premier Division double of the season which saw them to fourth spot, eight points behind leaders Cromer with two games in hand. But they should have scored more goals.
Catchpole spurned an early chance. A good ball by Gibbons found Lewis, but he headed over when well placed. On 12 minutes a shot by Gibbons, set up by Catchpole was pushed onto a post by home keeper Barlow.
Mattishall continued to create chances as another cross at the end of a good run by Lewis was headed over by Fulcher. Catchpole was guilty in the same position.
You may also want to watch:
Very little had been seen of the Brandon attack but on the half-hour mark Bland headed wide after good build-up play. Mattishall continued to dominate and a Lovell free-kick was met by Gibbons, whose header went for a corner. From the flag-kick Anema failed to convert from three yards.
Lewis broke through only for his shot to be saved, Catchpole and Lovell failed to convert and it was goal-less at half-time.
- 1 'Bonkers' - MP objects to 50-home development in village
- 2 Care home launches project to make residents dreams come true
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 5 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 8 Resident’s fears over more housing as sewerage system buckles
- 9 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 10 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
The second half started with a foray by lowly Brandon which saw Pledger making a save. Mattishall continued wasting chances with Catchpole the latest culprit. On 55 minutes they were again guilty of a miss after good work by Lewis.
The deadlock was broken when a long ball from Lovell released Fulcher, who scored a fine goal. The same player then saw his ferocious strike saved by Barlow, who could only palm the ball to Gibbons – who blazed over.
Brandon enjoyed a decent 10-minute spell and nearly equalised when a Stenner's sliced clearance hit a post but rebounded into keeper Pledger's hands.
From the clearance Lewis finished in style to give the visitors the points, and they saw out the game to complete a win that should have been much more convincing.
Mattishall Reserves entertained the league leaders Hemsby, and in a good game narrowly lost 2-1 with Joe Marczewski the scorer.
Next, Mattishall entertain sixth-placed Acle while the Reserves visit South Walsham (kick-off 2pm).