Mattishall deliver cup shock

Diss Town 1, Mattishall 2 (aet)Mattishall pulled off a Norfolk Senior Cup giant-killing act away to the high-flying Ridgeons First Division Tangerines in the fourth round.

Diss Town 1, Mattishall 2 (aet)

Mattishall pulled off a Norfolk Senior Cup giant-killing act away to the high-flying Ridgeons First Division Tangerines in the fourth round.

The side third-bottom of the Anglian Combination Premier Division made two changes from the side that had won the previous week. Gary Starling came in at full-back and Chris Hall was recalled at the expense of Ben Lewis.

In front of a good Friday night crowd Diss started the brightest and a run by Wright released Huckle, but his cross was fired over. On 10 minutes a forging run by Edwards created some space but his effort was easily saved.

Diss pressure paid after 15 minutes when Jenkinson on the edge of the box worked some space before firing past the helpless Pledger.

On 25 minutes Wooden won a free-kick just outside the box but it was easily saved. On 30 minutes a flowing Diss move saw Hooks burst free on the right and his fine cross was turned into his own net by Hill, but the 'goal' was ruled out for offside.

Most Read

Another fine run by the dangerous Hooks saw his cross fired over as the visitors struggled to make any impact, although on 34 minutes Hewitt had a long-range effort saved by Webster.

However, five minutes before the breakMattishall drew level following a fine run by Cole which was crudely brought to a halt on the edge of the box. From the free-kick Starling's crisp free-kick was shinned into the top of the net.

In their very next attack Hall forced a corner kick from which Wooden headed home, but was harshly adjudged to have fouled and the teams went into the break all square.

The second half saw the dangerous Hooks replaced by Bryant for Diss and on 50 minutes a slip by Fulcher let in Wright, who raced in on goal.

But a fine recovery tackle by Fulcher saved the day.

A excellent run and cross by Hall set up Catchpole but his effort was well saved by Webster. On 55 minutes a long diagonal ball from Starling found Cole in space and with the home keeper rushing out of his goal Cole's tame effort was cleared by the last defender.

Mattishall were taking control and Hewitt had a free-kick fly over. On 74 minutes Davis replaced Cole as the visitors started to control midfield with Hewitt and Edwards working tirelessly.

A fine corner from Hall went through a crowded area before Davis fired over. On 85 minutes Diss substitute Abbott saw his shot saved by the legs of Pledger as the full-blooded tie went into extra time.

The first period continued at a fast pace. On nine minutes a fine run by Davis saw him lay off to Hall who cut inside before firing a spectacular shot into the roof of the net. A goal worthy of winning any cup tie.

Diss had Adcock sent off and in the dying minutes Skipp missed a glorious chance, but Mattishall fully deserved their place in the quarter-final draw on Radio Norfolk tomorrow night (programme starts 6.30pm).

Mattishall Reserves, despite having the majority of the possession, fell to a 2-0 defeat by a well-organised Swaffham Reserves

On Saturday, Mattishall are back in league action with a home game against fourth-placed Acle 2pm.