Mattishall FC fail to close gap on leaders after penalty miss

Mattishall 0, Cromer Town 0

Mattishall rued a missed penalty as they were unable to close the gap on title rivals Cromer in the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday.

Cromer enjoyed the majority of early possession but struggled to create chances, until the ball dropped into the path of Paul Bradshaw and his shot was well saved by Mattishall keeper Matthew Powley.

Just after the half hour mark the home side had their first opportunity when Christian Harbour got between the two centre-halves and got onto the through ball, but Cromer keeper Nathan Pauling was out quickly to prevent the striker from getting his shot away.

On 35 minutes the Crabs had a goal disallowed for offside after Liam Davies volleyed home David Harwood's cross from close range.

Harwood's first time strike following a quick free-kick then seemed to be heading for the top corner but it was superbly saved by the fingertips of Powley.

The Crabs continued to get themselves into some good positions and Wilton got in behind the Mattishall defence before being halted by Karl Harwin, with the visitors' penalty appeals waved away.

Most Read

More good link up between Wilton, Fawkes and Woodcock resulted in the latter getting another shot on goal but it was straight into the hands of Powley.

The game remained goalless at the break but just three minutes into the second period Mattishall had a golden chance to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty after Davies fouled Sam Applegate in the box. Conner Delaney stepped up for the hosts and he saw his strike from 12 yards kept out thanks to an excellent save from Pauling down to his right.

Delaney almost made amends with a free-kick from 30 yards that rattled the upright. The rebound came to Gillen who saw his header pushed on to the post and the ball was scrambled clear.

Cromer responded as Woodcock cleverly lifted the ball over the defence into the path of Wilton whose first touch deserted him and Powley was able to gather.

In the 72nd minute Liam Landamore won back possession on halfway and played it through to Woodcock who then squared to Fawkes, but he had slightly mistimed his run and he put his shot well wide.

With ten minutes remaining Cromer finally had Powley beaten in the Mattishall goal, but Horton's free-kick from 20 yards came back off the post.

The visitors had a couple more chances to grab the three points in time added on, but Woodcock fired wide and Landamore put his effort into the side netting.

Mattishall: Powley, Marczewski, Lewis, Sutherland, Harwin, Anema, Gillen, Reynolds, C Harbour, Applegate, Delaney. Subs: G Harbour, McKenna, Gagen.