Mattishall FC’s season continues to fade

Beccles Tn 1, Mattishall 0

THE end of the season cannot come quickly enough for Mattishall, who suffered their third successive defeat in the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday.

The Blues have now won only one game since the turn of the year and a season which promised so much is in danger of fizzling out.

The home side started the brightest and a run by Remblance saw him burst in on goal only to be denied by last gasp tackle by Jake Anema. The ball was only half-cleared and the resulting deep cross fell to Masters who headed unchallenged into the empty net to give the hosts an early lead.

A good ball by Ben Gillies saw Myhill force the visitors' first corner before Ben Lewis' long range effort was easily saved by Cable.

Another piece of poor defending allowed Remblance to burst into the box and his strike on goal was tipped onto the post by Matthew Powley and out for a corner. Cable palmed away a fine strike on goal but it was the home side who went into the break with a deserved lead.

A poor crossfield pass by Sam Applegate saw Whiteside burst from inside his own half and only a last gasp tackle from Joe Marczewski stopped him getting a shot on goal.

Most Read

A move involving Lewis ended with Anema having a strike on goal that Cable comfortably saved.

On 55 minutes Dale Reynolds replaced George Pledger and the visitors thought they had equalised when a short corner saw Gillies' delivery headed into the net by Christian Harbour, only for the effort to be ruled out by the referee, apparently for pushing.

The home side nearly increased the lead when the dangerous Remblance saw his excellent free-kick smash against the post and rebound back into play.

The game became stretched as the visitors chased an equaliser. Reynolds fed Harbour and with his back to goal he laid in Applegate but he fired wide. Then, following a free-kick, the home substitute Roberts' goalbound effort was superbly cleared off the line by Luke Sutherland as the remaining minutes were played out without any more opportunities.

Loddon United 4, Wells Town 0

This was a match Wells were looking to get points from as only one goal separated the sides in the previous week's encounter.

But luck was against the struggling Seasiders as they remained eight points adrift at the bottom of the Premier Division.

The hosts scored twice in each half to secure their victory. Wells had a goal disallowed when losing by only one goal, with Harrison's strike ruled out for off-side.

A spot-kick saved in the second period summed up the Seasiders' run of bad luck this season.

Wells Town travel to Spixworth on Saturday (kick-off 2.30pm)

n A young Seasiders reserves team travelled to high-flying Watton Reserves and found themselves ahead early on, but they never really got into gear and the hosts scored at regular intervals to win 9-1. Armiger scored for Wells.

Wells Reserves travel to Corton on Saturday (2.30pm).