Mattishall get important win
Norwich St Johns 0, Mattishall 1
MATTISHALL began November looking to get their season back on track with a trip to Cringleford to play Norwich St Johns in the Anglian Combination Premier Division.
Mattishall returned to winning ways as they comfortably saw out the game in which the result was more important than the actual performance.
There were five enforced changes from the previous week's starting line-up with the influential Palmer returning from suspension.
You may also want to watch:
The first half saw Mattishall under pressure but their defence looked very dominant while the forwards were causing the Saints' defence the odd problem.
As the first half progressed Mattishall began to get hold of the midfield and forced St Johns to defend.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 9 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
Mattishall wasted two good opportunities before the deadlock was broken on 40 minutes when a Lovell free-kick evaded everybody, although Catchpole may have got a slight touch before the ball ended up in the back of the home net.
The second half continued in the same fashion with both defences dominant and clear-cut chances not in evidence.
The game was being played mainly in midfield with neither keeper seriously tested.
Mattishall on Saturday entertain Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves 2pm.
Mattishall Reserves played hosts to their counterparts from Sheringham and in a below-par performance were grateful for a point in a 2-2 draw.
They equalised in the 94th minute through Nathan Gostling, having also drawn level right on the stroke of half-time, Stockell the scorer.