Mattishall hit goal trail
Mattishall 5, Scole 1MATTISHALL FC up until Saturday were starting to be tagged the draw specialists with successive draw results at Scole Utd, 5-5, Wymondham Town, 2-2 and Attleborough Town, 1-1 consecutively.
Mattishall 5, Scole 1
MATTISHALL FC up until Saturday were starting to be tagged the draw specialists with successive draw results at Scole Utd, 5-5, Wymondham Town, 2-2 and Attleborough Town, 1-1 consecutively.
However the turning point came on Saturday when the Anglian Combination Division One leaders went nap once again against their opponents, with the visitors restricted to the odd goal.
Mattishall had to make major readjustments to the squad as three of the regular players were committed to the Norfolk youth team the same day. And with three other players under suspension, the team was adjusted with player-manager Gavin Tipple having to put his colours on to make numbers up.
From the outset Mattishall were in no mood to keep the draw results going as they were attacking at regular intervals. After the first half hour it was all square, however in the next 10 minutes Matishall went 3-0 up with goals from Ben King, Jason Knights and Gavin Tipple.
The second half got under way with play a more even affair, however a Scole player was sent off. This action spurred the visitors on and they gained a penalty to get back into the match at 3-1.
- 1 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 4 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 5 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 6 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 7 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
Ten minutes later Simon Wooden, who was having a good game in the heart of the home defence, went further afield into the visitors' half, picked up a loose ball and coolly volleyed over the keeper's head to make it 4-1.
Jason Knights rounded off a fine performance, getting his second and Mattishall's fifth.
This result puts the team in pole position in Division One. An overall good performance with so many utility players unavailable.
Next, the first team travel to local rivals Wymondham Town, kick off 2pm, meet at 12.15pm.
Mattishall Reserves got back to league action at the weekend and had the daunting task of visiting the league leaders Harleston Town.
The match ended up with the visitors losing 3-0, however, Mattishall made the leaders work hard for their victory.
This weekend the Reserves are at home to AFC Norwich Reserves, kick off 2pm, meet at 1pm.
The club would still like to welcome any potential senior players to boost the squad, not only in the first team, but in the reserve side to enable the club to have strength in depth.
Any players are welcome to seek the management team for further details.