Mattishall hit Senior Cup trail
St Andrews 0, Mattishall 5Mattishall played a nap hand at Thorpe Rec against the Saints in the first round of the Norfolk Senior Cup to earn a home tie with Attleborough on September 6.
St Andrews 0, Mattishall 5
Mattishall played a nap hand at Thorpe Rec against the Saints in the first round of the Norfolk Senior Cup to earn a home tie with Attleborough on September 6.
Mattishall made two changes from the side that drew their opening league fixture. Luke Sutherland, came in at left back while Simon Wooden partenerd Danny Allen in attack.
Mattishall started the game at a furious pace, closing down the young St Andrews side at every opportunity and at the same time putting in some telling crosses that was causing the home side anxious moments.
It was from one of those crosses that Mattishall took the lead when the Saints' left back headed into his own net.
Mattishal continued to press and should have had a second when Danny Allen chose to cross the ball instead of shooting. However, the second goal was always on the cards and came when skipper of the day Gary Harbour unselfishly laid the ball into the path of Ben King, whose rasping effort went in off the far post.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 3 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
- 4 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 5 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 7 Road closures to be put in place for Queen's Dragoon Guards parade
- 8 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 9 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 10 Man caught with cannabis after armed police called to Dereham park
While Mattishall continued to press forward the home side continued to attempt to play themselves back into the game, but the Mattishall defence held firm and never looked in any real trouble and at half-time Mattishall deservedly led 2-0.
Within ten minutes of the restart the game was as good as over as a contest.
A quickfire brace from Danny Allen, his first a ferocious direct free-kick from 20 yards into the top left corner. And from a corner kick he pounced onto the loose ball to lift it into the goal to put Mattishall into a 4-0 lead.
Centre half Rob Connelley made it 5-0 on the hour with a header from another accurate cross. At this point Mattishall made three changes.
Matishall will look to take this form into their forthcoming league games as they look for an immediate return to the Anglian Combination Premier Division.