Mattishall hit six of best in cup
Bungay 2, Mattishall 6
MATTISHALL turned their attentions to cup football when they visited Bungay in the first round of the Mummery Cup, Fulcher completing a hat-trick against last season's beaten finalists.
Mattishall made five changes, gave a first team debut to young George Gagen and also saw Rob Connelly making a return after 16 months.
The visitors started well and a fine ball from Hill saw Lewis deliver a fine cross from which Connelly's header saved at the second attempt.
Fulcher burst through but pulled his shot just wide. Another good cross from Lewis saw the defender just get in front of Connelly, and from the resultant corner Palmer shot over the bar.
Against the run of play on the half-hour, Bungay went in front when a deep cross went over the visitors' back four and fell to Tuffs, who coolly slotted past Failes.
- 1 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 4 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 5 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 6 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 9 Tory candidate's hustings dodge defended after 'disrespectful' claim
- 10 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
From a Bungay free-kick 25 yards out Riches' fine effort was pushed onto the bar by Failes and the ball was scrambled away. Edwards took a quick throw-in to Fulcher who fed Palmer whose shot was fumbled by the home keeper and ended up in the back of the net for a deserved equaliser.
Just before the interval a Connelly corner was met by Sommerfield but he headed over.
A blistering start to the second half saw Mattishall take the game by storm.
A fine run by Edwards took him deep into Bungay's half and he fed Fulcher whose shot just missed the far post.
In the next attack Fulcher picked up the ball in the centre circle and drove goalwards past several defenders before slotting home in style.
A long throw from Stockwell fell to Fulcher, who in a touch brought the ball down before slamming it past Foyster.
In the next attack Connelly again created space and placed the ball past the home keeper for 4-1.
Substitute Dougal replaced Connelly and made an immediate impact when he fed Lewis, who scored with ease.
Harbour replaced Gagen and Bungay continued to battle to make it 5-2. Mattishall continued to create chances and a fine cross by Harbour set up Fulcher to nip in at the near post to complete his hat-trick.