Mattishall in second place
MATTISHALL were third in the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday night after their 4-0 win at Kirkley & Pakefield, then went second on goal difference Tuesday night with a 5-2 win at Wroxham Reserves.
They have 45 points from 24 games, the same at St Johns. Cromer have 65 from 26.
Mattishall started brightly at Kirkley, went on the attack and saw Taunton shoot wide when well placed. Fine play by Catchpole saw McCann test the keeper, then a McCann and Lewis combination resulted in home keeper Banger making a good save.
Yet another chance went begging after a good move saw Somerfield race clear but unable to hit the target. The home side then had a good chance when Tacon missed when well placed.
Mattishall finally broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when Somerfield and Applegate combined and the delivery was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Tacon.
You may also want to watch:
Mattishall defended well to take a slender lead into the break.
Mattishall started the second half as they did the first and Catchpole's fine header hit the bar.
- 1 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Record Covid highs for three areas of Norfolk
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 Mum starts new year with 2,021-squat charity challenge
- 9 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
On 55 minutes Catchpole was fouled in the area and picked himself up to convert the penalty. A minute later it was 3-0 when a McCann run and cross set up Applegate, whose clinical finish from 15 yards gave the keeper no chance.
Mattishall continued to dominate and an excellent ball by Catchpole picked out Somerfield, who finished calmly for 4-0.
Another good move saw Palmer firing over the bar, then Anema headed over following a Taunton-Catchpole move.
Very little was seen of the home side although Mattishall could not add to their score, with Applegate going the closest.
Mattishall Reserves drew 0-0 at home to Fakenham Reserves.
On Saturday, Mattishall travel to Spixworth while the reserves are at Sheringham, both 2.30pm kick-offs.