Mattishall lack cutting edge in Mummery Cup defeat
Mattishall 0, Spixworth 2
Mattishall welcomed Spixworth to South Green looking to reverse the previous week's league loss against the same team, with a place in the quarter-finals of the Mummery Cup up for grabs.
Mattishall included new signings George Jermy and Lee Moran in there starting line-up.
A fine run by Jermy saw him go past three players before setting up Duncan Hewitt but he fired straight at Bilham. Another clever run by Jermy created himself some space and his delivery saw Christian Harbour's downward header expertly saved by Bilham.
In the second half, a Spixworth free-kick was taken by Jason Armes and he found the bottom corner of the net to make the breakthrough.
The visitors pressed forward and within ten minutes they had increased their lead when a corner was not cleared and when the ball was delivered back into the box Matthew Elwin was standing at the back post to score easily.
Mattishall introduced all three substitutes but despite George Watts-Sturrock spreading the ball about, the hosts lacked a cutting edge.
- 1 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 2 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 3 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 4 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 6 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 7 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 8 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 9 Annual service to be held in memory of Norfolk war hero
- 10 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
A corner by substitute Gary Harbour saw the ball fly across the face of the goal and just avoid Joe Marczewski but from there the visitors comfortably saw out the rest of the game and left the hosts with just league points to fight for.