Mattishall looking at relegation
Beccles Town 1, Mattishall 0MATTISHALL travelled to Beccles in possibly their last chance to try and salvage something from a very poor Dolphin Autos Anglian Combination Premier Division season.
Beccles Town 1, Mattishall 0
MATTISHALL travelled to Beccles in possibly their last chance to try and salvage something from a very poor Dolphin Autos Anglian Combination Premier Division season.
However, luck was against them. The chances created were very few, but Beccles converted the one solitary good opening they created for a poor victory.
Mattishall knew they had to play above and beyond their capabilities, but passion seems to have left some of individuals as they lacked any real get up and go. It will be very difficult now to ensure safety as Mattishall are stuck firmly at the bottom with Hindringham.
After 15 minutes Beccles took their goal. Schoolboy errors left a forward totally unmarked at the far post for him to pick his spot and hit firmly home. It was a very poor game after that, both teams looking inept at carrying the game to their opponents.
Mattishall's best moments were in the final 10 minutes when they exerted a little more pressure on the home defence, but that was dealt with effectively as no real shots on goal were seen.
- 1 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 2 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 3 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 4 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 5 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 6 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 7 Dereham school recognised for commitment to equality and diversity
- 8 Cost of living - 'Rising energy bills mean we've had to shut'
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
Mattishall's supporters went home very disillusioned but are hoping the team will turn this score around as they take on Beccles again on Saturday at home, ko 2.30pm, meet 1.30.
Mattishall Reserves entertained Beccles Town Reserves and like their first team colleagues lost by the only goal of the match.
However, this time, Mattishall had to put it into the net themselves for their opponents to go home with all points. Another match with little to shout about. A draw would have been a fair result.
The killer goal came in the second period in the opening 10 minutes, from then on the home team had very little to offer as a poor match was played out with Beccles securing a double. It now looks as though the second string are staring relegation in the face to Division Four as it is difficult to see where a win will come from.
On their day they are good enough to hold their own, lack of commitment and attitude is letting them down. The management are trying everything in their powers to gee the players up, but even they are out of it once the whistle blows to start the match.
If there is a glimmer of hope, then the team must change their attitude prior to the nine matches left.
The Reserves are away to Hellesdon, ko 2.30pm, meet at 1.