Mattishall suffer again at hands of Beccles
Beccles Tn 2, Mattishall 1
Mattishall's bogey team Beccles Town struck again with victory in the Anglian Combination Premier Division clash on Saturday.
The hosts again showed their ability to fight back from what looked like a comfortable game to win for the visitors.
Mattishall were on the front foot for long periods in the first half and were creating good openings. What the hosts threw at Mattishall was comfortably dealt with by Kyle Talbot in the visitors' goal.
On the half hour, Mattishall went a goal ahead. Beccles failed to deal with a good right wing cross, the home keeper parried the first effort on goal but failed to react to George Watts-Sturrock's shot as he pounced on a loose ball to fire home.
Mattishall could have gone further ahead and but failed to capitalise, going into the break with a slender lead.
Beccles were more determined in the second half and started to play to their tall players with the long ball from defence. After 65 minutes they levelled matters as the ball in the Mattishall area was not cleared allowing a simple tap-in.
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 3 Village chapel could be converted into homes
- 4 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 5 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 6 Chance to try leisure centre for free at open day
- 7 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 8 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 9 Developer requests not to contribute £100,000 for affordable housing
- 10 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
After the goal Talbot was booked for dissent and five minutes later the keeper was sent off for bringing down a home forward in the box.
Substitutions were quickly made for the visitors prior to the penalty kick, which was converted by the home team to put their noses in front.
Mattishall rallied with the remaining ten players and did push very hard into the hosts' box, but failed to take any half chances that came their way.
It was another disappointing game for Mattishall, who will feel they should have brought something home with them.
This week, Mattishall entertain seventh-placed Beccles Town at home, 2.30pm ko.
Mattishall Reserves had a very disappointing 6-0 defeat at home to Caister Reserves in Anglian Combination Division Four.
The hosts had only a one-goal deficit at the break, but capitulated after the second goal in the second half.
Mattishall Reserves are due to play Fakenham Town Reserves tomorrow, 7.30pm ko at Clipbush Park.