Medal delight for Dereham Otters Swimming Club
Dereham Otters scooped more than 100 medals at the Norfolk County Championships.
The championships had more than 350 swimmers who achieved qualifying times and took part in a selection of the 36 events, from sprints to long distance, over four weekends in February and March.
Sixty-one Dereham Otters entered 510 events between them. They won 104 medals (top three places) and gained 206 top six places in total. Of these the most impressive was 10-year-old Fraser Ryan who won all ten of his races, and consequently won his age group very convincingly.
Tommy Hoven also impressed with six wins to his name, achieving an overall second place in the very competitive 12-year-old boys category, with Liam Murphy in third and Morgan Read in fourth close on his heels. James Hewett was fifth in the 11-year-old boys.
Lauren Burton was third and Issy Holmes fifth in the 13-year-old girls. Natalie Coogans was fifth in the 15-year-old girls and Benjamin Whitbourn sixth in the 15-year-old boys.
You may also want to watch:
A club spokesman said: 'There were some fantastic swims in all age groups, and it was wonderful to see the newer/younger swimmers competing in their first major gala.
'Overall 82% of all swims were PBs – the effort, training and determination paid off! There was a fabulous team spirit evident.'
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 3 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 8 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 9 'Appalling' online abuse targeted at MPs
- 10 Amazing drone footage shows Flying Scotsman travelling through Norfolk
n The 4 x 50m freestyle county record has been broken by Dereham Otters' 11/12 year old boys at the County Relay gala last weekend.
The team comprised Tommy Hoven, Liam Murphy, Morgan Read and Finlay Ryan who swam the 200m in an incredible 1.58.89. Dereham Otters finished in second place out of the ten Norfolk swimming clubs.