Mixed fortunes for Dereham Hockey Club
Dereham Men's 1st XI 0, University of Cambridge 1
Dereham fell to their first league defeat of the season when a lacklustre display against University of Cambridge cost them dearly in the East League Premier A Division.
The well organised students claimed a 1-0 win over a Dereham side that struggled to produce the impressive form that they have shown in previous weeks. The result leaves Dereham sixth in the league on four points, a point behind Norfolk rivals Harleston Magpies and five behind league frontrunners St Albans.
With Mark Braybrook unavailable, Dereham coach Peter Hogg decided to put his faith in the club's youth system by playing talented teenager Matthew Plater at centre forward. Plater created Dereham's best chance of a cagey first half when his reverse stick cross from the left was deflected fractionally wide of the target by fellow forward Mike Timm.
The game eventually sparked into life as the students took the lead eight minutes after the break when Mark Borsuk bundled home from close range after Dereham failed to clear their lines.
The home team went on the offensive but were constantly thwarted by some high class defending from the visitors, who almost claimed a second goal with a break-away effort that was brilliantly cleared of the line by central defender Matt Stainthorpe.
Dereham travel to West Herts this Saturday.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 4 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 10 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
Dereham Ladies 1st XI 2, Cambridge Nomads 1
Dereham shrugged off the disappointment of defeat in their previous game to beat Cambridge Nomads.
The hosts started well as Becca Taylor, Bex Hazell and Hannah Bebbington used their pace and skill to win a number of short corners.
Great skill by Hazell and an opportunist touch by Taylor put Dereham 1-0 up.
Nomads drew level in the second half, but a deflected shot made it 2-1 to Dereham.
n Dereham's men's second XI lost 2-1 at Division 2N leaders Bourne Deeping, John Allison getting the visitors' goal.
n Dereham Ladies II beat Thetford 2-0 in the Norfolk League Premier Division with goals from Fran Grapes and Zoe Leveret.
n Dereham men's third team crushed Sudbury III 7-2 as goals from Grant King (4), Gareth Wilton (2) and Dewing completed the rout.
n Dereham ladies III drew 1-1 at Harleston Magpies IV in the Norfolk League Premier Division, Gemma Pointer hitting an equaliser 10 minutes from time.
n Dereham men's IV lost 4-1 to Norwich City IV, Andy Rix netting for Dereham.
n Dereham's boys development team were beaten 6-1 by Norwich City despite taking the lead through James.
n Dereham's girls development team beat Norwich City 2-0 courtesy of strikes from Grace Cresswell and Charlotte Seaman.