New Senior Cup final date for Magpies
Dereham's on-off, on-off Norfolk Senior Cup final against King's Lynn Town has taken another twist.
After Norwich City securing automatic promotion on Monday, the game was re-scheduled for Tuesday, May 10. But there will now be a civic reception on that night so the new date is Friday, May 13, ko 7.30pm.
The Magpies clinched runners-up spot in the Ridgeons League championship by completing the double over title winners Leiston thanks to a 2-0 win at Aldiss Park on Saturday. It secured the highest finish ever for the Magpies, writes John Cushion.
Dereham manager Matt Henman said ruefully: 'It's a shame we didn't play Leiston earlier in the season. If we had been able to beat them earlier, it would have sown a few seeds of doubt in their minds. But at the end of the day, when we reflect on the season as a whole, the club can be very proud.'
He said to finish second was a great achievement. 'It continues what we have been doing over the past seasons. I was really pleased at the way we played to get second spot after we had fallen away from trying to win it.'
You may also want to watch:
Henman still has that Senior Cup final to plan for, but looking ahead to next season he said: 'Generally I am happy with what we have, but we have already identified two or three positions that need strengthening. We are still trying to develop and improve what we have.'
Dereham's goals against Leiston came in each half from Scott Roberts and Kyle Downs.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 3 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 4 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 8 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Potential resurrection of Dereham Rotary Club to be discussed at meeting