One goal decides at Mattishall
Mattishall 0, Hempnall 1
MATTISHALL entertained Hempnall in a very even contest. The last five meetings between these sides have been settled by the first goal.
From the kick-off the hosts' first attack saw Stenner advance down the right flank. His pull-back set up Fulcher to bring a save from Cudden. From Tipples' in-swinging corner the ball was headed off the line.
Then a flowing move involving Stenner, Fulcher and Tipple saw the latter's shot deflected for a corner which came to nothing.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors won a free-kick on the edge of the box and Hunter's drilled kick resulted in Hunting's glancing prod go just wide.
However on 15 minutes Hempnall took the lead when Lewis failed to clear a deep cross. The ball was whipped back in by Halliwell for Chrystal to stoop low to head past Pledger.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 4 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 5 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
Another free-kick from the visitors saw Hunter's delivery headed wide by Shearer from a free header. Hempnall slowly started to dictate play and another excellent cross from Mills was headed wide by Renault when well-placed.
A move early in the second half by Mattishall saw Gillies make good ground down the right. His early cross allowed Fulcher to create some space before firing wide.
The game developed into a midfield battle with neither side forcing a save from either keeper.
Another free-kick from Hunter saw his floated cross fumbled by Pledger, but the ball did not drop kindly for the visitors and was cleared to safety.
A fine cross-field pass by Lovell released Applegate and his cross allowed Fulcher get in front of Cudden, but he was adjudged to have fouled the keeper.
A Tipple free-kick was just headed wide by Fulcher, and as Mattishall pushed for an equaliser the visitors always looked dangerous.
Flint had a lob well gathered by Pledger and when Lewis lost the ball on the halfway line, Pledger was called on to make another fine block.
Despite Mattishall pushing men forward, they never forced Cullen into any action and Hempnall comfortably held out to claim the points.
Mattishall Reserves visited Caister and lost 4-3 with the goals coming from Stockell (2) and Vargeson.
Mattishall travel to St Andrews on Saturday with a 2.30 kick-off.
The reserves are at home to St Andrews, also with a 2.30pm kick-off.