Penalties seal Mattishall defeat
Mattishall 2, Cromer Town 4
Mattishall entertained Anglian Combination Premier Division leaders Cromer looking to end the visitors' run of six straight wins.
The returning Ben Lewis was prominent on the right early on and forced three early corners of which the keeper failed to collect two cleanly, but there was no-one on hand to pick up the pieces.
Cromer, who started slowly, forced keeper Pledger into a smart save when a mistake at the back allowed Wilton an opening.
You may also want to watch:
Following a Cromer corner the ball was cleared to Lovell, whose early ball found Fulcher, but having rounded the last defender he screwed his shot wide.
Fulcher very nearly opened the scoring when a snap-shot from distance beat the keeper but cannoned back off an upright.
- 1 Developer says dozens show interest in new homes despite council concerns
- 2 Pub start weekly lockdown Bake Off challenge
- 3 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
- 4 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 5 Council agrees to fell "high risk tree" - despite protection order
- 6 Museum hopes to celebrate town's historic couple with summer reopening
- 7 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 8 Lake and barns for sale as separate auction lots despite same address
- 9 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 10 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
However, Mattishall did not have to wait to long to end their October goal drought when Applegate's corner saw Sutherlands challenging the defenders and the ball fell to Catchpole, who controlled it before firing past Osbourne.
The Crabs went searching for an equaliser. Mattishall had numerous chances to clear their box, but when the ball was delivered back into the danger area Hinton beat Pledger from a tight angle.
Minutes later Pledger was forced into a point-blank save when Cameron beat the offside trap and had only the keeper to beat.
A Mattishall free-kick just inside the Cromer half saw Hewitt's delivery find Catchpole, whose flicked header gave Mattishall the interval lead.
Second-half Mattishall indecision at the back saw Lovell just get a challenge in as the ball flew narrowly wide and then a free-kick from Hinton ended up at Pledger's feet.
Another cross this time by the dangerous Wilton saw the winger lay in Terrington, but again in unorthodox fashion Pledger pounced on the loose ball.
Cromer finally drew level when a mis-timed tackle from Lovell gave away a penalty and Harwood gave Pledger no chance from the sppot.
As the game opened up, a flowing move saw Lewis cross fall to Fulcher, but his shot was saved by Osbourne when the striker should have scored. Lewis was the next to test the visitors' keeper.
Following a Cromer free-kick in their own half, Bradshaw on the edge of the box shot through a crowd of players and left keeper Pledger rooted.
Cromer made the game safe from another penalty converted by Harwood for a somewhat flattering 4-2 victory.
n Mattishall Reserves visited their counterparts from Watton and game away with a resounding 5-0 win. The scorers were Christian Harbour (2), T Hill, D Reynolds, F Campos