Perfect show from Magpies

Wisbech 0, Dereham Town 3

DEREHAM boss Matty Henman hailed the 'complete' away performance as his side moved level on points with Wisbech and Wroxham at the top of the Ridgeons League Premier Division on Tuesday night.

The Magpies travelled to the Fenland Stadium in high spirits after Saturday's 3-1 win against Felixstowe & Walton United and they maintained their form as a Gary Starling penalty and further goals from Billy Smith and Joe Marsden ensured a comfortable win.

Henman said: 'It was just a complete performance – at times we had to dig in and defend, but we still played some very good football and looked dangerous counter-attacking.

'Once we got in front I thought we looked like we could score every time we went forward.'

The back-to-back victories have helped erase memories of successive defeats to Wroxham and Norwich United and Henman added: 'Wroxham was just a really poor performance and everyone held their hands up, but against Norwich the performance was okay and we probably deserved something. But it's nice to bounce back with two wins and Tuesday night was particularly pleasing.'

Dereham's next two games are against struggling Wivenhoe and Great Yarmouth, who are both yet to register a point this season. Kyle Downes is doubtful with a knee injury, while Sam Borrer and Scott Roberts both picked up minor knocks but should be fit to face Wivenhoe at Aldiss Park on Saturday. Andy Fulcher also returns after being unavailable for Tuesday night's game.

Most Read

The match at Wisbech started with a minute's silence for former Fenmen keeper Mark Ovendale who died on Monday after a battle with cancer.

Dereham were awarded a penalty when former Wisbech player Billy Smith was bundled over in the box. Starling made no mistake from the spot to put the Magpies in front in the 21st minute.

Shaun Marshall made a fine save to turn Callum Reed's powerful drive over the top after good work from Chris Bacon.

Wisbech made the better start after half-time as they strove for the equaliser, but their pressure was ended by Dereham's second on 62 minutes. Roberts' corner was headed out to Billy Smith, who unleashed a superb 20-yard drive into the net.

Three minutes later Nicky Howell hit the bar from close range but the ball fell to Marsden and he fired home to give Dereham a commanding lead.

Billy Smith forced Rayner into a save low to his left in the 81st minute and Dereham continued to defend superbly as they notched their fourth win of the season.