Photo gallery: Friendly: King’s Lynn Town 2, Dereham Town 2

Dereham's Shaun Bammant and Lynn's Jason Lee. Picture: Ian Burt

Dereham's Shaun Bammant and Lynn's Jason Lee. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

Lynn and Dereham shared the spoils in their latest pre-season friendly tonight.

Shane Tolley put the Linnets in front after 45 seconds at The Walks before Dereham – who will play one level below the hosts next season – stormed into a 2-1 lead at the break thanks to goals from Shaun Bammant and Adam Gusterson.

However, George Thomson equalised after the break with a well-struck drive to ensure two of Norfolk's promoted non-league clubs drew an entertaining friendly.

The match came to life with the Evo-Stik Division One South champions finding the net inside a minute. Dan Jacob's shot was parried by Andrew Wilton straight into the path of Tolley and he couldn't miss.

Ahead of thunder and lightning, some fireworks went off on the pitch as Magpies striker Bammant and Lynn defender Jason Lee came together in an off the ball incident before Steve Spriggs crudely hacked down Ryan Hawkins. Ex-Linnet Danny Beaumont, who this summer returned to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title-winners, struck a post from the resulting free-kick.

Thomson fired over following a neat one-two with Jacob but it didn't take long for the next goal to come – albeit for Matt Henman's visitors. The Ryman Division One North new boys levelled when Bammant's weakly-struck left-footed shot was flapped at by Danny Gay and he inadvertently turned the ball into his own net.

Lynn's number one made up for his error five minutes later when he denied Nicky Howell superbly. But he could do little when Gusterson, allowed acres of space, slotted home impressive left-back Hawkins' fine cross from close range.

Most Read

After the break a host of substitutions slowed proceedings but the chances kept totting up with Bammant, Hawkins and Thomson all going close. And it was the later who got his name on the scoresheet just before the hour mark when he rifled home Andy Hall's pass first time to bring the Step Three outfit level.

Wilton made a cracking stop as Spriggs went in search of a winner, substitute Ed Gomes had a header blocked yards from the Magpies' goal while at the other end Beaumont blazed over rashly.

Once youngster Lewis Gibson had drawn a decent save from Wilton, and curled a clever effort wide, a good workout for both teams – which saw Gary Setchell make 10 second-half changes for The Walks outfit – soon drew to a close.

Lynn return to action on Thursday when they host Cambridge United while Dereham visit Great Yarmouth Town on Friday.

Lynn: Gay (Street, 54), Clarke (Fernandes, 54), Gulliver (Fryatt, 54), Lee (Ward, 79), Yong (Gomes, 54), Spriggs (Gibson, 61), Thomson (Stocker, 74), Quigley (Watson, 54), Hall (Biles, 79), Tolley (Mulready, 54), Jacob. Goals: Tolley (1), Thomson (59).

Dereham: Wilton (Powley, 77), Ramm, Hawkins, S. Willis (Kay, 46, (Eastoe-Smith, 54)), Morphew, Gusterson, Howell, Smith, Bammant (Pledger, 54), Borrer (O. Willis, 67), Beaumont. Booked: Pledger. Goals: Bammant (35), Gusterson (43)

Referee: J. Turner

Attendance: TBC