Portugal-bound Lombard Trophy finalist Dodman’s golfing career is off to a flying start
- Credit: Getty Images
Norfolk railway technician Paul Dodman stayed firmly on track at Thetford to book his place in the Lombard Trophy final after victory.
Dodman partnered Barnham Broom's PGA professional Alan Hemsley to card an impressive 11-under-par round of 61. It was a close run thing as their score was matched by Essex-based PGA Cup player Jason Levermore and amateur Paul Castle. But the Barnham duo produced a superb back nine, which included three nett eagles, and they won through on countback.
Dodman and Hemsley will now play in the £41,500 grand final. The Lombard sponsored tournament, supported by Coca Cola is being held at beautiful Pestana Golf Resort in Vila Sol from September 22-23. But for the 29-year-old Dereham-based Dodman, it is a feat he would not have achieved but for a serious football injury suffered five years ago.
'I played for a village team and did my cruciate knee ligament, it kept me off for a year,' said the 18 handicapper.
'So I turned to golf instead. A few of my friends said I wasn't bad so I said to myself that I would make this the year I'd give it a go, I got all the gear and everything. My handicap came down from 24 to 18 and I'll be practising even harder now that we've reached the Portugal final. But if I hadn't been injured playing football I'd probably never have taken up the game.'
You may also want to watch:
Hemsley, who will be playing in his first Lombard final, was full of praise for his partner's display saying his handicap will soon be in single figures.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 8 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 9 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover