Premier win for Dereham

Dereham Town 2, Kirkley and Pakefield 1THE Magpies again underlined their top three Ridgeons premier credentials with another win in their impressive start to the season on Saturday.

Dereham Town 2, Kirkley and Pakefield 1

THE Magpies again underlined their top three Ridgeons premier credentials with another win in their impressive start to the season on Saturday.

In the fourth minute Olly Willis found Beaumont with a long ball just outside the box. The striker turned and clipped the top of Woodcock's crossbar with the keeper beaten, writes Rene Kendal.

Dereham won a corner that Woodcock failed to claim but the Magpies were unable to net at the far post. In the 15th minute Olly Willis made a superb run into the box, rounding four Kirkley players before the visitors cleared their lines.

Dereham were playing some neat football and Smith gained possession in a central position before finding Nicky Howell 10 yards from goal with a perfectly-weighted pass and the midfielder hammered the ball home in the 18th minute to put his side in front.

However Kirkley soon drew level when Justin Fox's cross from the right eluded Higgs and entered the net in the 23rd minute.

Most Read

Dereham had the chance to regain the lead when the unmarked Barrett headed Terrington's centre from the left wide when well placed.

The first half was an even affair with little between the two teams and it was all square at the break.

The lively Olly Willis nearly unlocked the Kirkley defence with a low cross in the 49th minute but De Coteau cleared at the far post.

Jay Eastoe-Smith headed Terrington's corner into the keeper's hands. Olly Willis then made another forward run before being up-ended in the box by Stockeld in the 52nd minute. Danny Beaumont comfortably beat Woodcock from the spot to put the Magpies back in front.

Keeper Higgs spilled Stockeld's free kick with a defender completing the defensive work. Minutes later Highfield stabbed the ball wide from close range. Olly Willis made another fine forward burst and teed up Smith who hit a low shot wide.

Eastoe-Smith then made a vital tackle to stop Stone in his tracks just outside the Dereham box. Howell fired wide after Terrington and Bacon had combined well as the Magpies continued to press.

De Coteau won the ball in the centre of the park and found Sivell wide before moving into the box to head his cross at the far post over the top in the 73rd minute.

Kirkley nearly caught the Magpies with a quick break with Stone hitting a drive into Higgs' arms.

Terrington's dangerous low free kick from the right was hacked to safety by the visiting defence, Stockeld's long range free-kick then nearly caught out Higgs, clipping the top of the bar.

Dereham: J Higgs, O Willis, S Garner, D Buhlemann, J Eastoe-Smith, D Beaumont, N Howell, A Smith, C Bacon, T Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: B Furlong, P Atkins, S Willis, S Roberts, K Talbot.