Record entry for Dereham race
THE Dereham 10-Mile Road Race was organised by Dereham Runners and sponsored by Lovewell Blake Chartered Account-ants.The race, which was also the County Championship, was a huge success with a record 282 entrants.
THE Dereham 10-Mile Road Race was organised by Dereham Runners and sponsored by Lovewell Blake Chartered Account-ants.
The race, which was also the County Championship, was a huge success with a record 282 entrants.
The race day weather was warm and dry, good for running.
Starting at the Neatherd School, the course ran out past the football club, along the old A47, with a loop round past Elsing Hall and back to the school where the finishers received a medal and Lovewell Blake kit bag.
After the race presentations were made by club chairman Garry Slattery to the winners.
The race was won by Darren Fowlie of Notts AC in 53min 06sec, who had battled from the start with Andrew Hennessey from Wells City Harriers who finished second in 53:11. The first lady to finish was Nicky Alford from City of Norwich AC in 63:10.
- 1 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving car and tractor
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Boris Johnson expected to announce easing of Covid-19 Plan B restrictions
- 6 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
- 9 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
- 10 Royal British Legion branch to celebrate 100th anniversary
Two Dereham Runners took part in the race, Steve Plunkett finished in 82:30 and Ian Odgers running with mum, Anne, finished in 117:13.
Many members, their families and friends also worked hard helping out as car park attendants, processing entries on the day, marshalling the course, manning the on-course water stations, refreshments, timings and production of the results.
A full list of the race results and the County Championship results along with photos of all the action and details about Dereham Runners can be found on the website www.dereham runners. co.uk
On the evening of Wednesday, May 21 the last in a series of three five-mile races organised by Great Yarmouth Road Runners was held along the prom at Yarmouth.
The first Dereham Runner to finish was Paul Metters in 33:43 followed by Emma Potter Campbell 34:43 with a third in her age group category, John Richardson 38:53 and Ken Renshaw 39:46.
Two Dereham Runners ran on Bank Holiday Monday in the Brandon Half Marathon, organised by Brandon Fern Hoppers, an off road event on forest tracks over two laps of a cloverleaf route.
It was a windy morning very good for kite flying, not so great for running. Even so, Rory Campbell finished in 1-42:39 and Orla Jupp in 1-58:1, both very close to their personal bests.