Robins back on song
Reepham Town 2, Bungay Town 1After exerting considerable pressure for 20 minutes the breakthrough for Reepham came as Colin Emberley finished off a tremendous passing sequence with a low, left-foot rocket leaving Bungay keeper Robert Long grasping air.
Reepham Town 2, Bungay Town 1
After exerting considerable pressure for 20 minutes the breakthrough for Reepham came as Colin Emberley finished off a tremendous passing sequence with a low, left-foot rocket leaving Bungay keeper Robert Long grasping air.
The Robins, who gave a sadly arid display the previous Saturday, were flying.
However a long clearance came through to home keeper Martin Failes, and having done all the hard work by taking the ball on his chest, he hurried his clearance and the persuing Black Dog striker Shane Ward swiftly turned and hooked the ball into the net to equalise.
You may also want to watch:
Reepham, playing with quality and character, scored a wonderful goal to retake the lead just before half-time.
Starting with Gary Belton at left back the ball was played via the midfield and a switching through ball from Andy Gooch found Mark Gaskin. He cut in from his wide position and rifled the ball past the forlorn Long.
- 1 'Just a dream' - Bridal suite and photography studio open in Dereham
- 2 Your Say - What are Dereham's favourite shops?
- 3 New home and 'collective purpose' for men's shed
- 4 Scouts offer free activity sessions for Norfolk youngsters
- 5 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 6 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 7 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 8 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 9 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
The second half was more of the same, and apart from a couple of Bungay set pieces Reepham had the greater part of the play. Beau Howard came close with two great headed chances, Gooch clipped the bar and Bungay defender Mark Shipley cleared off the line following a goalmouth pinball session.
The best opportunity came after Gaskin had created space with a great dribble. He cut in and squared the ball to Emberley, but he side-footed the ball, allowing Long to save onto the post.
Meloncollie Rose of Reepham Man of the Match was Mark Gaskin who was outstanding and is realising his potential.
Saturday the first team faces old adversaries and top of the table Poringland at home in a 2pm kick-off.