Season of success for St Nicholas
IT has been an excellent season for Dereham St Nicholas' School football team. The season couldn't have got off to a better start, with the boys victorious in the north Norfolk section for the national seven-a-side cup competition.
IT has been an excellent season for Dereham St Nicholas' School football team.
The season couldn't have got off to a better start, with the boys victorious in the north Norfolk section for the national seven-a-side cup competition.
This qualified them for the county finals in January where they narrowly missed out on first place and a chance to compete against teams from the eastern region. They finished a close second, only one point behind the eventual winners.
December saw a comprehensive victory in a tournament arranged by the West Norwich and Dereham Sports Partnership at the Powerleague Soccer Centre. With 24 teams taking part, St Nicholas swept all opposition aside scoring 50 goals and conceding only five in an eight-match march to be tournament champions.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, other cup and league matches saw St Nichs progressing purposefully, scoring many and conceding few. March saw the culmination of their league programme where they finished top, collecting their third title of the season.
A visit to Carrow Road and chance to play on the pitch prior to the Cardiff game in March,allowed the team to demonstrate their silky skills on the best of surfaces. Coming back from 2-0 to win 4-2, followed by a rare victory for Norwich meant an enjoyable evening all round.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 3 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 4 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 5 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 6 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 7 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 8 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 9 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 10 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
More success was to follow in April, as Dereham emerged victorious once more in the North Norfolk Cup competition. A tense final went to extra and penalties but the boys stood firm and an outstanding display by their goalkeeper ensured another trophy for the cabinet!
The two final games of the season decided the overall league champions for North Norfolk. St Nicholas met with the other section winners but narrowly missed out, coming second.
This season has been a long but very productive one. Simon Dack, the team manager, thanked all the parents who supported and provided transport, and the fantastic team for a truly memorable season.
Squad: Joshua Starland, Todd Cantwell, Daniel Zelos, Kallum Hart, Ryan Fitt, Jordon Ramm, Billy Nhiwatiwa, Kai Hull, Louie Seaton.