Shipdham take derby honours
Shipdham 2, Yaxham 1SHIPDHAM'S first home game of the season started in a typical derby style.Shipdham went close in the second minute and Yaxham had a 'goal' ruled out for offside in the eighth minute.
Shipdham 2, Yaxham 1
SHIPDHAM'S first home game of the season started in a typical derby style.
Shipdham went close in the second minute and Yaxham had a 'goal' ruled out for offside in the eighth minute.
Jason Dalton made a great save from point-blank range in the 14th minute from a Yaxham corner.
You may also want to watch:
The game was very competitive, with tackles flying in. Kelvin Tuttle played a big part in breaking up the Yaxham attack and covered lots of ground in the first 30 minutes.
Shipdham went close again on 32 minutes, when Craig Howlett broke from the back, went round two Yaxham players and crossed - but Pitsy's shot went inches over the bar.
- 1 Your Say: Should face masks be made a legal requirement again?
- 2 Overnight road closures expected on part of A47
- 3 Buses delayed by queues at petrol stations
- 4 Zara, 8, conquers virtual mountain climb amid mum's cancer battle
- 5 Stunning aerial photo shows Norfolk cemetery shaped like a leaf
- 6 Dereham boxer Emma has world title ambitions
- 7 Dereham pub set to host beer and blues festival
- 8 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 9 Covid heroes recognised at special awards evening
- 10 Meet the great-grandmother who has raised more than £100,000 for her church
Shipdham continued to attack down the right flank and again went close when Adam Sandell put in a cross but Jamie Howlett, with only the keeper to beat, fired wide.
Yaxham counter-attacked and scored against the run of play on 42 minutes with a well-taken goal.
In the second half, Danny Amp came off the bench and made an immediate impact with a shot which deflected off a defender and hit the bar.
Shipdham were unlucky on 55 minutes when Nick Sandell hit the underside of the bar, which just about summed up the game so far.
However, Shipdham were rewarded for their pressure when Nick Sandell headed home a Scott Mather cross to level the score on the hour.
Yaxham were unlucky not to score when Shipdham gave away a free-kick on the edge of the area on 80 minutes.
The Shipdham defence held out well against further pressure from the Yaxham attack then hit Yaxham on the break.
Scott Mather hit a shot from the half-way line, but the keeper scrambled back and just managed to tip the ball over for a corner. Steve Brown fired in the corner and man of the match Nick Sandell scored the winner on 88 minutes.